Sign in to follow this  

I need jetting help at 6000 elevation

Guys, help me. My CRF150 is jetted at sea level (bay area, California). It's perfect right now. A friend wants me to go to Georgetown, which he said is at 6,000 elevation. I'm sure my bike would ride like junk if I didn't touch the jetting. What would all of you run at that level?

Remember jetting relies on a bunch of things: humidity and temp as well as elevation. Since there's less air up there, you going to have to lean it out a little. So before you go, buy about 3 smaller mains, a smaller pilot, and bring your original needle. That way your covered.

I ride in the Los Padres national forest quite a bit. The unloading area is at 4500 ft, and the mountain trails run over 6500ft. I also ride in the desert in the winter with elevation below sea level. I make no adjustments to the jetting. It runs a little better in the dez, but it should as the air is heavier. I think you will find that by raising the clip one position on the needle you will be fine. Good luck !!

If you are talking about Georgetown CA. I used to ride there

with no jetting change from riding in the the bay area.

My XR would run a little fatter but not enough to worry about.

I would dop the needle a notch if it was real hot out.

I think the elevation is more like 2,500' than 6,000'....Karl

Thanks everyone. I've only ridden sea level so I've didn't have a clue. Hum, I feel silly about that because I read about it all the time, but since I've never had to fiddle with it, I never remember this stuff. Whatever the case, thanks. This is good stuff to know.

Check out 230F's jetting correction chart

It'll give you a good idea of how the tempurature can make up for altitude gain.

I can ride from sea level to 6000 feet with out making jetting changes. I'm just trail riding though. I've had it start to pop when I've climbed to high for it. Just a 1/4 turn in on the pilot screw & it stopped.

If I wasn't lazy & had to get peak performance I'd leave the pilot jet & just use pilot screw for the slow circuit. Move the needle down one & drop 2 sizes on the main jet. That's my "guess" for starters.

:cry: