Sign in to follow this  

Headlight aims too low

I have a real bad glare issue from the Acerbis chromy I installed. The aim looks good, but it lights up the front fender and blinds me. I'm thinking about painting the fender top flat black. Any ideas out there?

Havent ridden mine in the dark yet but here in Oz they have a 24hr dirtbike race that many riders have the same hassle. They either paint the fender black or apply dark tape to it.

Mind you, these blokes are using 1 or 2 100w lights :cry:

Flyred,

It sounds to me that if it is pointed correctly and you get that much spill on the fender, your only option is to cover it with tape or paint. Painting plastic never works well so I would say go with some tape for the short term and just retape for the night rides.

Greg

Kraylon Fusion paint works and is designed to stick to Polyproplene which your fender is made out of. I took the spring ajuster out of the bottom headlight shell all together and it aims quite well, but I don't ride in the dark often...

MSTex

MSTex,

Which light are you running? My factory light pointed at the sky but since I planned to switch to the Acerbis DHH, I didn't worry about it. Does your factory light aim properly?

Greg

Stock - try moving the straps???

I just got caught in the dark yesterday (first time on the TE510) on the tail end of a ride and the stock light was of no help. :cry: At the very end of the ride, I rode behind a covered trailer, I was about 10 yards behind it and my bike's headlight was shinning above the top of the covered trailer which was 8 feet above the ground. I couldn't see the beam anywhere. Something is either not designed right or set up correctly from the dealer. With the days becoming shorter, the headlamp will come into play and get more use during afternoon / evening weekday rides. I've got to get this set up correctly so it will be of some use in the dark.

The headlight assembly is set up so the headlight shroud is positioned toward the bottom of the forks and the base of it rides just 1/8 inch above the top surface of the front fender. I set mine in this position because I saw it pictured this way in a factory pic of the bike with the light kit.

I examined the headlight assembly and compared it to the parts manual. I've added a graphic below from the TE510 parts mannual. You can download a PDF version of the parts mannual from http://www.husqvarnausa.com from the online manuals link.

The plastic spacer (#7 on the pic below) on the adjustment screw at the bottom of the headlamp was missing. Without the spacer, when the adjustment screw is tightened until it is tight, the lamp will rotate upward and point high to the sky. I put the spacer (from the box of parts the dealer gave me that was left over from the light kit they installed) in its proper place and now when the adjustment screw (#6) is tightened, the light beam seems to point straight ahead rather than to the sky. I may replace the adjustment screw (#6) with a longer one which will allow me to add washers as shims to the spacer (between #7 & #8) to allow the headlamp beam to be pointed further toward the ground. Then I can also move the headlamp assembly up or down on the forks to sort of fine tune where the beam hits the ground in front of me. I'll have to wait until dark to really see the results and position the beam exactly where I want it. I'm thinking between 5 and 10 yards in front of the bike.

If anyone has any comments on how they are set up with the stock headlight assembly, I'd appreciate hearing them. I'd also like to know the distance you like to have the headlight beam hit the ground out in front of your bike with a stock or aftermarket headlamp set up.

ktl...

headlampassy.jpg

Kleaulle,

Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and replaced my stock light with the Acerbis DHH light. Whatever the factory setting are, the light aims perfectly.

Greg