Sign in to follow this  

Maintenance - racing vs. riding trails

Does it make a difference to the maintenance schedule if I race a bike or ride very easily on trails?

I am the new owner of a 2002 CRF450. The previous owner used it for trail ridding. He added a 9 oz. flywheel weight,18" rear wheel and a kickstand. Looking at the manual the maintenance interval is per race or hours ridden. Can I, or should I, adjust the maintenance schedule if I'll be riding the bike easily on trails?

Some might not agree but racing is hard on things, especially oils. I would think you could double the time between maintenance intervals if you are using it for trails, especially moderate riding. Just check the oil regularly even if not changing it, If it aint slippery or smells burnt, go back to factory recommendations. :cry: Clutch abuse will have some say in the intervals too.

i have never understood this question. how does the bike know if it is being raced or pleasure rode throught the trails, fields, etc? if the motor is running it needs to be took care of. i keep the same maintenace schedual weather i am racing or play riding in the front yard. i feel that my bike will last longer if i do this. something elese to think about is the bike build up more heat when trail riding so that makes changing the oil even more important

Here's a comparison that may help you understand the differences in trail riding or racing: do you feel more tired after running 100yds or walking the same distance at a casual pace? Most trail rides I've been on rarely see half throttle, especially on something like a CRF450, while motocross is nothing more than WFO from corner to corner, now see the difference? While i don't think it's possible to be too careful with your maintanence routine, or to check your valves, change the oil or clean the filter too often, I don't think it's necessary to run the valves after every leisurely trail ride.

i ride some of everything, and i change my oil every 3 or 4 good rides. i'm not the kind of person who hits the rev limiter, but i don't baby the thing either. depending on the kind of riding, i adjust my maintainance schedule.

some of the major reasons for valve failure have been:

over heating, dirt ingestion, lack of maintenance with oil change. with that in mind trails are usually very dusty, speeds are slower resulting in less air flow and hotter running motors. so with that in mind i would think you would want to change the oil/clean the air filter just as often? if not "to each his own". my 02 is running strong with no valve problems and i believe the reason is the way i maintain it. i hope you have the same results

I dont think trail riding can be considered light duty. Trail rides usually last a long time. Many times I have trail ridden enough to drain a 3 gallon tank without stopping. I cannot think of a time I was able to do that racing. Trail riding also includes hills, slow speed riding with little air passing over the radiators .

In my mind I would maintain them about the same for either use.

Tiki, my thoughts exactly. IMO trail riding is tougher on the bike. Like dav said, more heat with the slower speeds and lots of clutch slipping. I know I can go on one trail ride and my bike will look like its had a full season on the track. Trails are tight and muddy in my area. That's why I don't like trail riding. Not a slam against trail riders. I wish I could afford a 250x just for trails. :cry: