Sign in to follow this  

Should I change the valve springs as precaution?

I have had my 04 fo fiddy now for 6 months. I plan to do the top end soon and I was thinking, would it be a good idea to change the valve springs at that time just for the heck of it? The OEM springs are really cheap and it seems that the valve springs are really simple to change once the head is off. My valves are still spot on spec after about 50 hours on the bike, but would changing springs to new ones add a little piece of mind as to how long the valves last?

Also, do i need the spring compressor that it shows in the manual or can I just use a big C clamp?

Thanks for the help, fellas! :cry:

Even for the stock valves? I figured I would just use stock springs. If they are new, they should be stiffer than the ones I have in there right now.

Even for the stock valves?

yes

If they are new, they should be stiffer than the ones I have in there right now

Yes, but I personally dont think the stock ones are stiff enough to begin with.

Just my .02 man... :cry:

Even for the stock valves? I figured I would just use stock springs. If they are new, they should be stiffer than the ones I have in there right now.

FWIW, when I rebuilt mine at around 200hrs I put new OEM springs in with the original valves. Still going strong at 300+ hours.

Thanks for the input. Do I need a spring comressor to change out the springs? Can I just use a big C clamp or some muscle to compress those springs?

I used a valve spring compressor. Actually, I brought it to an auto machine shop that took them out for me but that's what they used.

If you got semi strong hands and a buddy to drop in the keepers, you can do it by hand...by thumbs actually :cry: