Sign in to follow this  

Valve adjustment shims?

Anyone know if they are the same ones that Suzuki uses in the larger engines ie: V-Strom 1000? They have two sizes at my local dealer the larger ones that go in my V-strom & a smaller shim, not sure what they go in, shop people don't know either. Reason I ask is I have their larger shim kit now in my possesion, I am adjusting the valves on my V-Strom tonight & thought since I am at it might as well check my '04 400 "S" since it has 1200 miles on it now. I never had to adjust my '01 "E" valves in the 18 months I owned it so I never have actually seen the 400 shim sizes.

OT: The V-Strom was way out at 23k miles, 3 tight on the back cylinder & 2 out on the front all tight! I payed to have it checked at 8,200 miles & guess what he didn't do squat, I suspect they were at the limit then & he said screw it or worse never checked them period! It is quite a job on the V-strom, the radiator has to come off and all the upper fairing & tank. No harm done to the old work horse it ran fine just this past Sunday. It is a pain to keep the engine timing straight between front & rear cylinder :cry: but no cam chain to mess with since the cams ride on a idler gear :cry:

Rainy weekend ahead so they say so I'll tear into the DRZ top end & have a look. Once done there might as well pull the front end off & grease the steering stem. :cry:

Roy,

I took my Vstrom to the dealer for the 10k check. They were supposed to balance the throttle body and replace the plugs and air filter. I asked if they had the parts before I brought it in. They said they did.

I went in to pick it up at the end of the day, anxious to get it back. They had no plugs or air filter, told me the throttle body doesn't need to be balanced on that bike. I don't know what they did but it cost me $100. I spent the next Saturday getting at the air filter and plugs and replacing them myself. I think the shop procedure for checking bikes is if it runs it must be okay, print the invoice.