Sign in to follow this  

how many of you thought about switching back or going to a two smoke/

Just curious to see how many of you are tired of the high repair bills on these bikes,being that a rebuild on a two stroke motor is about 350.00 for complete rebuild and for a four stroke around 1800.00? :cry:

I am seriously concidering going back to one. Reason being my bike has been in the shop for about 3 months now. I dont dare even touch the thing because the engine is built like a clock. Being the back yard mechanic that most of us are it has taken some of the fun out of riding and not being able to do the tweaking that I could on the 2- smoke. However I do love riding the new thumper. My friend was talking to his rep. at white bros and he mentioned that the funnest bike out there right now is the YZ 250. He also mentioned the current trend of people returning to the 2 strokes.

Yep thats what Ive been hearing! I just did 1000.00 worth of repairs do to a sprocket break. The thing just keeps getting more and more expensive to fix.

I am weighing my next purchase CRF450X or the KTM300Exc and it's hard to beat the power to weight ratio of a two stroke.

The only downside I see is you can't be as lazy on a two stroke.

Thought about it for sure. I had a KDX 220 with an FMF pipe. Was the best trail bike I have had to date. Quick, nimble and light. Just no top end at all. I am not very mechanically inclined so the wrenching aspect does not make much difference to me to tell you the truth. I figured that 2 smokes will be going the way of the dinosaur sooner or later so I might as well get used to riding the thumpers.

Best case - 1 of each. I will stick with the WR 450, I love the way it rides. Maybe a KTM e/xc 300 or similar. The Oragne rig just has a ton of vibration in it for me. If the Green guys would update the 220 I would look at that bike again for sure. It is so damn cheap relative to the Orange bikes. Who knows - if I had the space and the $$$ for 2 bikes I would go get a 2 smoke just for fun. Yamaha with the aluminum frame does not look to bad either. Hell Yamaha was nice enought to give me a $12,500 line of credit. I think I have close to 7k available!! Now you got me thinking. :cry:

I'm going back...I got my YZ250F and 3rd time out blew the hole shizam...I was idoling too. Back to a trustworthy, and better smelling CR125.

You know this whole two stroke VS four stoke will probably go on untill they ban two strokes. The best of both worlds would be own one of each. I think is really depends on what kind of riding you do. I want a four stroke to ride the mountains, trails, and be able to lug it and be lazy when I want to. I would like a two stroke when I just want to scream. I do think that four stokes have come a long ways!!!!!! :cry:

You know this whole two stroke VS four stoke will probably go on untill they ban two strokes. The best of both worlds would be own one of each. I think is really depends on what kind of riding you do. I want a four stroke to ride the mountains, trails, and be able to lug it and be lazy when I want to. I would like a two stroke when I just want to scream. I do think that four stokes have come a long ways!!!!!! :cry:

I agree but repairing four strokes is a joke,all you need to trail ride a two stroke is a weighted flywheel and you be good to go.

I went 2stroke cause i liked the 'fun factor' more than a 4stroke. I love the hit, I love feathering the clutch, I love being in control.

Second to that is it has required nothing... 80 hours i changed rings everything was in spec and it was 2 hours work, and I am a terrible mechanic!

I ride mainly wide open desert which, as you know, keeps you searching for a 6th and 7th gear. I wont give up my plush DRZ but I miss waltzing thru the dunes and doing MACH 1 down a fireroad. Time to get a real man's bike. gotta get me a CR500 or newer kx500. :cry:

modern 2-strokes are pretty sweet, esp the 300's. it's a pretty good lazyman's bike, and practically xr-like in its lack of maintenance. i still have a (crappy) 4-stroke, and someday i'll buy another, but for now, i think a 300 2-stroke is the most versatile and easy-to-ride bike on the planet.

mw