Sign in to follow this  

Cant figure it out...

I took my cams out and re tourqed the bolts properly, re-set the timing, etc. now when I try to start it the kick start is extremely stiff as if there is tons of resistance, yet if you keep pressure on it for about 10 sec, it moves, then back to square 1. also it only goes through 3/4 of the stroke then wont go anywhere...have timed it atleast 4 times last night and still nothing, have taken off the cam chain tensioner and everything, any body have any guesses as I need my bike in 2 weeks for the canadian arenacross championships. thanks in advance :cry: :cry:

don't mean to sound stupid but are you sure you're not in gear? also, why did u take the cams off in the first place (i mean before u had to retorque them)?

maybe the auto compression release is out of adjustment? :cry:

Sounds like your cams are still to tight or siezing up, thats what ours did at a race into the first corner. I also noticed our kick start was hard when we first rebuilt it. so your probably having the same prob as evey one else is with there cams. They say the torque on those are just a few inch pounds, which is not very much, and they have been coming from the factory to tight.

When you say you "timed" it... does that mean you are sure you got the cam in the right spot with respect to the crank? It would really suck if you were colliding a valve and your piston.

Jimbo

Why would you need to set the valve timing 4 times, sounds if you are unsure on the procedure, If it is not right the first time the damage may have already been done,

hey guys, thanks for the quick replys. the reason that I timed it 4 times is because it was acting funny so i tried it over and over to see if it was possibly a mistake that I had not caught onto the first time. also, i have done this before but tourqued the bolts too tight so i loosened them up. I decided to take the cams off again because it was runing before I took it apart to re-tourque the bolts but the kick start had noticable resistance to it so decided to do everything all over again. Have not checked the auto decomp yet but will be sure too. was working all day so couldnt get any time alone with it today but will try tommarow. I just hope that I didnt bend a valve or anything. again, thanks for your replys and keep em coming if you can think of anything else. :cry: :cry:

p.s, if the timing was off by 1 tooth, would it be acting like this, im pretty sure I have the timing thing down pat but I am human... :cry: :cry:

p.s, if the timing was off by 1 tooth, would it be acting like this, im pretty sure I have the timing thing down pat but I am human... :cry: :cry:

Yes it could possibly be off by a tooth set it to tdc and it staying exactly perfect when ur trying to set the cam chains and the aligning marks right is tricky at first but it just takes patience

Did u run it after u overtightend the cam bolts? If so u could have already caused damage that is only repairable by replacing the parts.

When yousay you re-torqued them did you set them as per the book, because the book says 102in# I think, and I've been told by a freind of mine thats the service manager at the local suzuki dealer don't go that high set them to 80in# this is enough to hold them in place without over tighting and the resulting stripped bolt. Just what I was advised and so far it's been fine.