Sign in to follow this  

Talkin Bout Racin..'05 450SX vs '05 525SX

first off...a most humble respects and props paid to the TT KTM gods and thanks for lettin the newbie in! I know its the age old question but I believe I can narrow the question of '05 450sx vs '05 525SX down. I plan to buy one of the two in the next two weeks. I will have my dealer install a six speed. I live in central Oregon surrounded by hundreds of miles of open des (easy 525 fans and read on). I weigh 205lbs. I plan to race Open Am GP series which will include several rounds of the WORCS series next year and various "EURO GP" like MX tracks here in Oregon. I owned a 2001 520exc for a play bike and loved it. A simple question; On the last lap of the race, which bike am I (or you) faster on? 525SX or 450SX.

Well, I have an '01 520SX, and my new '04 450SX.

I was faster on most tracks as soon as I hit my 450. The WFO tracks that have gobs of traction and enough speed to cause a nose-bleed - I am MUCH faster on my 450SX. (Surprise surprise!)

That being said, I feel the 450SX wears me out a little more. I get arm-pump faster, and tire out quicker. THe bike's ability to get out of it's own way faster than anything I've ever ridden means it's tiring to me.

Having not ever ridden a new 525, I can only base my opinions on my '01 520.

I understand the new 525's are more potent.

I wouldn't say the 450 is violent. It still has the same characteristics of my 520, but everything happens faster.

This one track we were just at last week, I could come out of this one turn and quite literally go wide open on the 520, and I would get to breakneck speed, then shut down to the next turn.

On the 450 however, it has a slight delay in raw power (smaller bike), but it gets up there so fast, I carry the front wheel in the air ALL the time. I have done more 'power out of turns' wheelies on the 450 than my 520 (as the 520 is a more relaxed speed), so that in turn, does make me work harder.

Like I mentioned though, the payoff for all this harder work is significantly faster lap times.

Travis_D37 seems to have ridden a more modern 525, and he should be able to get you some more information besides what info I have gotten in the short time I have had my bike.

Deathwish - My buddy and I have '02's, a 400 and 520. A couple more buddies have '03's, 450 and 525. The likeness and difference between my 400 and JC's 520 are the same as between the 450 and 525, only the differences are smaller. Confused yet? The new 525 is crazy light feeling, and handles better than my 400 (which handled better than the 520 due to the gyro thing). The new 525 is easier to ride than the old 400, which was very easy. Both the '03's are way different than the '02's. I don't know which would be better for desert, but I would think the 525 (SX) w/a 6 speed would be a nobrainer, given my desert experience here in IL :cry: :cry: :cry: My point to you is, if you love your 520, DON'T ride a new 525!!!!

<font color="orange"> I just ordered my '05 450 SX with a 6 speed tranny, 18" rear with the black rims. I am beyond pumped, like not sleepin, need therapy consumed by its arrivial pumped. I believe it is the right decission and will be the fastest bike on the last lap of a 1.5 hour plus one lap race. I have also talked to local pros who have raced a 450 and 525 and concurred the 450is the way to go. Thanks for all the imput. I'll post the new ride when it arrives (and probally many more questions). Thanks again for all the imput. :cry:

I'm curious. WHY does everyone need a six speed?

I am PLENTY content with my 4 speed, and infact, rarely get out of second. Granted, I'm pegged in second for a short while and WOULD shift into third, but it's not worth the drop in speed for a second while I shift.

Are you guys just going over faster terrain or what?! I"m keeping relatively close time wise to our top A riders at the tracks, and I do not lose it on speed sections, it cornering.

Or do you guys like the 6 speed for the lower gears and closer ratio?

I had the 450 according to the tach, going up this one hill, at 10080 rpm. That's bouncing off the rev-limitter.

Or do I just push the motor harder into the RPM's than most?

My 520, I never revved. I coulnd't! This 450, I rev to the hilt. The 520 never wanted to rev, this thing does.

I can only speak for myself but I need the six speed beacuse of the type of riding and racing I do. I live in the high desert of Oregon, here are arial views of two of the tracks we race:

http://www.overthebarsgang.com/images/Starvation1pic.jpg

http://www.overthebarsgang.com/EVpic.htm

without the top end you just get smoked at the tracks and can not stay on top of deep sandy whoops because of how high the bike is reving. :cry:

To top that with a 4 speed to get any top speed out of it, 1st gear is unusable for tighter sections.

With a 6 speed you can gear down to a 13/50 and still do 95-100 MPH topped out. The 450 SX is POTENT. I am faster on this bike than ANY bike Ive ridden. Not that the bike is the fastest Ive ever ridden.....I AM faster ON it! Its AMAZING.

Congrats on the 450! You wont be sorry.

I too am in the same situation....currently own 01 520SX and have money down on 05 450sx....since you are familiar with Wa.state I race at Washougal whenever they have races...and at Woodland during the winter..raced last weekend and started to have second thoughts on while racing the 520....that bike is sooooo easy to ride....I am just concerned if I should just get a 05 525SX instead...concerned that the 450SX and its lighter flywheel effect(stalling in corners) and how the 525 is not much different from my 520...(easy to race and ride) broad long huge power is what I want and I am wondering if the 450SX can do this....I am a +30/+40 junior rider....racing longer motos at the Old Timer MX events around northwest..18 min plus lap motos.I know I need to go to Eddyville....that place looks like heaven on earth!!!

Why a six speed????

To out run the cops of course :cry:

just kidding..... :cry:

Most of us with six speed ride more than just tracks. Our riding area has several fireroads that connect the trails and also sometimes I leave my garage at home and follow some levies and dirt roads to a riding area. The extra gears are really good on those long stretches of road. :cry:

those tracks look siiick! i race hare scrambles and i do g oup to oregon to race the funky chicken every year, i wish i ihad some tracks near where i live to practice on, those look sweet :cry:

Talking to a friend/local pro who is now riding his '05 450SX (6speed) can not believe the difference in power from the '04. It is the same motor with different ignition mapping which eveidentally makes a huge difference and really brings out the beast in the motor. His consistant line is, "power is never a problem". :cry: Mine should be here soon :cry: AND yes everyone before they die should go to Eddieville Motocross track when the GP loop is open (like during a WORCS race or playday, all I can say is :cry:

check out the website and note that a "MX playday" is different from a "MX practice day, NO GP". If you are driving from outside of San Fran, make sure it is a MX playday weekend. The GP loop is only open for the last four hours of the day from noon till 5 ish. (or whenever your arms fall off which usually comes first) :cry:

here is the link http://www.overthebarsgang.com/

see you there :cry: