have i been mis-timing my bike all along?

so, im doing a rebuild and flipping through the manual, in which i see that your supposed to line up the little I on the flywheel with the cams.

i have been lining up the mark on the left of the I, which somewhat resembles an H, with the cams. i cant see how i could be wrong about this - my engine has always run fine with good power. the manual is fairly clear which mark to use, and its not the H.

how is this possible? ?

so, im doing a rebuild and flipping through the manual, in which i see that your supposed to line up the little I on the flywheel with the cams.

i have been lining up the mark on the left of the I, which somewhat resembles an H, with the cams. i cant see how i could be wrong about this - my engine has always run fine with good power. the manual is fairly clear which mark to use, and its not the H.

how is this possible? ?

don't know. I'd re-align it with the "I" if you have not done so already. I had the joy of replacing my timing chain because I jumped cam-timing and had to go through the ordeal of lining up the cams and "I" too. ?

Keep in mind that the 'I' (top dead center) and the 'H'(timing marks for timing at idle) are only about 6-8 degrees apart. Ten dgrees of crank rotation causes only 5 degrees of cam rotation. The cam sprokets have 32 teeth, meaning that to move a cam one tooth is to rotate it 11.25 cam degrees. So, in order to move the crank far enough to move the cam one tooth out of place, you would need to move the crank 22.5 degrees.

So don't worry about it. If you had a cam that far out of time, you would know. ?