Two-strokes gone

I was talking to a rep for evenrude outboards at the dealership where I work and he told me after 2008 no company will be alowed to manufacter carborated 2 cycel engins. I asume this law aplise to dirt bikes and atvs as well. You will still be able to ride them but you will not be able to buy a new 2 stroke from a dealer in the us. Ain't the epa just wonderfull.

I was talking to a rep for evenrude outboards at the dealership where I work and he told me after 2008 no company will be alowed to manufacter carborated 2 cycel engins. I asume this law aplise to dirt bikes and atvs as well. You will still be able to ride them but you will not be able to buy a new 2 stroke from a dealer in the us. Ain't the epa just wonderfull.

either your assumption is wrong, or the evenrude(sic) rep was lying to you.

mw

Unless buy 2008 some one can fig out a way to make a carbed 2 stroke run clean enof to abide buy the new emishons laws that will take effect then carbed Two strokes will eventaly go the way of the dinasore. Some corps mite still be making dirty two smokers after 2008 but that depens on how many credits they have with the epa. The way this works is for every clean engin a company sells they get a credit. For every dirty engine they sell they use a credit. If they use all there credits and still sell dirty engins they face steep fines. This is the only reason u can still buy a two stroke since most of them do not pass the emishions laws that are curently in efect. The new laws that take efect in 2008 will make this process a whole lot harder. Eventualy it will not be profitable for corps to produce dirty two strokes. This is why hardly any major manufacurer make a two stroke biger than a 250cc. The same resone why suzuki stoped makeing two stroke outboards in 1999.