Sign in to follow this  

Proper Weighting on Jumps

I've been reading the posts on how to "weight" your bike to lessen the distance on jumping, and I'm getting a little confused...I'll give it a try by saying what I think is the correct technique, then would appreciate the experts here correcting me.

For a regular jump, as you approach the jump you are in the neutral position, and you're more "stiff" in your body movement (your butt doesn't really rise/fall) and you let the bike lift your body up with the pegs, and you go with that lifting motion. All body movement seems to be lateral, that is front to back.

For less distance, as you approach the jump, you start off taller and gradually sink into the bike as it goes up the face to soak up the rebound. All body movement here seems to be up/down.

Am I getting this right?

Sounds bout right to me, i've been practicing letting your body absorb into the bike in order the scrub the most speed but some pro advice would really help out

I've been reading the posts on how to "weight" your bike to lessen the distance on jumping, and I'm getting a little confused...I'll give it a try by saying what I think is the correct technique, then would appreciate the experts here correcting me.

For a regular jump, as you approach the jump you are in the neutral position, and you're more "stiff" in your body movement (your butt doesn't really rise/fall) and you let the bike lift your body up with the pegs, and you go with that lifting motion. All body movement seems to be lateral, that is front to back.

For less distance, as you approach the jump, you start off taller and gradually sink into the bike as it goes up the face to soak up the rebound. All body movement here seems to be up/down.

Am I getting this right?

Yup. This is a form of scrubbing. What you are supposed to do is soak up the jump with your legs and stuff, so that you do not preload the suspension. This will lauch you less farther and lower, or in other words, scrubbing. :cry:

You can also lean the bike over as well for that bubba scub feelin. :cry: