Sign in to follow this  

vitamin water.

ok guys and gals ive been trying some vitamin water and its not that bad so i was wonder is it good for you. i mean they say it is but idk so if somebody can help me out that would help. also is reg. water better for you than this vitamin water.

thanks mike.

Mike,

Dump the water. You can drink it if you want, but as for vitamin intake it just doesn't work. Vitamins are absorbed over time in different areas of your digestive track. Water usually won't make it past your stomach. It is absorbed in your system quickly. So, the vitamins may not be absorbed properly. Most natural vitamin sources are found in fruits and vegetables. Fruits and veggies have a high fiber content and are slow moving in the digestive system. Quality vitamin manufacturers will work hard to make the vitamins deliver the "goods." A good multi like centrum should be used, but do not let it replace a healthy diet. It is called a supplement for a reason!!! Get to the produce stand. Grab all the colors you can find, and don't forget to take them out of the fridge! Buy the way, the antioxidants found in fruits help repair damaged tissue. Faster healing, better recovery sounds nice. Stay safe.

Mike

I don't know where mike got his infor? But anytime the vitamin is liquidfied(micelized) it gets into your system faster. Where as a pill desolves into a pile in your stomach and is only absorbed in that area. As far as it being better then plain water, i would say it is. Although if you eat right you don't need any of it! Just my .02cents

Well, it won't hurt you. If you have issues with muscle cramps it could be helpful. But it would be best to be eating right instead.

Bigdesto,

You are right. They do get into your system faster. YOUR KIDNEYS where they are excreted as urine! Not absorded as a nutrient. I get my information from one of the finest exercise physiology schools in the country.

No.

You will absorb some vitamins, but it depends on the type of vitamin. That said, vitamin water is low in most vitamins, i.e. below RDA. So, considering your RDA will not be close to being met. Certain vitamins are absorbed in certain areas of the digestive track. In order for absorption the water would need to reach, in most cases, the small intestine. Water will not reach the small intestine if drank slowly or possible at all.

Hope I could clear it up. I will e-mail info on vitamin absorption if anyone wants some.

Any up-dated information on pro's / con's on vitamin water?

I really like it, much more refreshing than plain water or sports drinks. I'v stopped drinking soda, and replaced with SoBe's & vitamin water due to their high vitamin contint's.

If we can still absorb "some" vitamins, thats better than nothing IMO.

My only concern is it may contain too much suger? Has any one heard any thing "bad" about this product?

No.

You will absorb some vitamins, but it depends on the type of vitamin. That said, vitamin water is low in most vitamins, i.e. below RDA. So, considering your RDA will not be close to being met. Certain vitamins are absorbed in certain areas of the digestive track. In order for absorption the water would need to reach, in most cases, the small intestine. Water will not reach the small intestine if drank slowly or possible at all.

Hope I could clear it up. I will e-mail info on vitamin absorption if anyone wants some.

I would like one. Please :thumbsup:

No.

Mac- I'm sorry but you are wrong about water absorption. Water is not absorbed through the stomach; most of it is absorbed in the small intestine and the remainder is absorbed in the colon. Try this link for a nice explanation of what the stomach does:

http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/stomach/index.html

That being said, vitamin water may have some superior pharmacokinetic properties by virtue of already being in solution. That does not necessarily imply superior efficacy, however, but probably implies higher cost. My recommendation would be to take vitamin supplements with a nutritious meal and drink plenty of water throughout the day. :thumbsup:

regards, Steve