Sign in to follow this  

Are master links prone to failure?

I heard somewhere that master links are dangerous. Is this true? Ive never had a problem, but Im no racer either.

S7

I have had problems with my XR100 but it is something pulling it hard because the small thin metal clip that locked it on kept breaking. I think I may have been to heavy or something cause it usually happened when I jumped it or gave it gas really hard but my frame also may have not been perfectly straight although it wasn't bad if it was twisted at all so I don't know why it kept breaking but it did in the last 6 months I rode it I never had it happen before then I went through about 10 though. I never ride it now so I don't know if it still does it or not. I have just ridden it up the driveway and stuff not really ridden anywhere now.

I heard somewhere that master links are dangerous. Is this true?

Yes very true,,, never allow a master link alone with your unprotected family,,,,, they can and will attack without provocation. :cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've never had a master link fail?. But I still carry a couple extra plus a length of chain and a good chain breaker. My rides can go for several days out in the wilderness an it's a good idea. :cry:

Whoever told you this may be thinking in regards to sport bikes or just faster bikes in general.The clip on a clip type master can come off at very high speeds because enough centrifugal force is made by the chain going around the countershaft sprocket to open the clip, and if it happens to be on backwards, it'll slip right off.

I doubt that could happen on a dirt bike, but to be safe, just make sure the open end of the clip is opposite to the direction of the chains travel, and if you're real paraniod you can saftey wire it to the link.

i have never had a master link fail so far [ knock on wood ]. you have to make sure the clip is facing the right direction, also for an added safety, i put a dab of silicone adhesive on it. i ride both street and dirt.

Master links are fine - just install the correct one and put the clip on in the right direction. I never had one fail.

Like every one said, the clip has to be installed in the right direction. With long travel and the needed chain guides, this is a must.

I have seen people destroy a new clip just by the "way" they installed it.