future technology of 2and4 strokes?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lighter lighter and did I mention lighter. Hoepfully the big four strokes can eventually weigh around what a 2smoker weighs now... could you imagine how awsome that would be.

Fuel injection... yeah, it will probably happen but I am not sure there is a benfit to it right now besides maybe emmissions and "cool factor"... my carb works pretty darn good.

the only way fuel injection will get onto bikes is if they need to pass some crazy emissions spec.

When the epa was asked why they were tightning emissions on motorcycles, the only answer was that the rules hadn't been updated since the 70s.

No impact study, no science. The EPA sucks.

The bigest thing in outboards latly is direct injected two strokes. they get beter milege and produce less emishions than curent 4 strokes. They also require less matenence. I think this technolegy will fined it's way on to dirt bike and atvs in the near futer. For 4 strokes FI defanetly. We may even see electricly opperaited valves.

some 4 strokes already compare with 2 strokes, i got a rmz 250 myself which weighs 204 lbs. my buddies sx 125 (that's a ktm for those of u who don't know) weighs 203. I'll give up the pound for the low end grunt any day ?

You are comparing a 250 to a 125 ?...that's cc's for those of "U" who dont know!! ? :cry:

WAKE UP GUYS, FUEL INJECTION IS ALREADY HERE!!!!

Besides all the street bikes that run around with it, dirt bikes are getting it too. Check out the new GAS GAS 450fse(its got EFI). Also, anyone remember Cannondale(they experimented with EFI too). With the correct fuel-mapping and electronics, a EFI bike will out-perform a carburated one by a wide margin. I wonder how long it'll take the manufacturers to figure out a closed-loop fuel system with an oxygen sensor just like your car's, but without all the emissions BS. Think of it this way: no more re-jetting, just perfect air-fuel ratios all the time, in every condition.

In the past, two-strokes have been built using a wet sump. Basically, the bottom end is just like your four stroke, complete with an oil filter.

You lose two things this way:

1) You don't have the supercharger effect created by the negative/positive pressure in the crank case to scavenge gasses and feed the fuel mixture into the cylinder.

2) You lose the carburator, due to the compensation for the above problem.

The solution is to mount a supercharger on the intake side of the motor, along with either a port fuel injector, or a direct injector.

Cool thing about direct injection is that you loose the throttle plate, so you basically have close to zero compression braking, but there is some drag created by the blower.

Kind of off the subject:

Consider an 'ol Detroit Diesel:

Two-stroke, four valve heads, direct injection, supercharger for scavenging, and turbos for bumping the intake charge pressure.

Put a couple of 16V71 (That's a 16 cylinder V with 71 cubic inches *per* cylinder) in a nice yacht swinging some huge props and you simply fly... At 60gal/hr fuel consumption per engine. These are the motors that make yachts do 50 knots.

Some old school technology, but man does it make huge power. Kind of heavy, though