Sign in to follow this  

future technology of 2and4 strokes?

WAKE UP GUYS, FUEL INJECTION IS ALREADY HERE!!!!

Besides all the street bikes that run around with it, dirt bikes are getting it too. With the correct fuel-mapping and electronics, a EFI bike will out-perform a carburated one by a wide margin. Think of it this way: no more re-jetting, just perfect air-fuel ratios all the time, in every condition.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Fuel injection is the future! For all of it's benefits (no jetting, adjusting, consistent performance regardless of temp/altitude/b.pressure) the weight penalty is a minimal price to pay. They don't weigh that much anyway for all you gram counters. Now I can't say FI is completely necessary for MX, but for the trail/enduro riders it makes sense.

And Wildo, your comment on DI (direct inject) 2 stroke outboards outperforming 4 strokes, you may want to do a little more homework. The fuel injected 4 strokes and DI 2 strokes aren't even close. It's a lot of [@#$%&*!] drummed up by the idiots at Bombardier. 4 strokes are quieter,cleaner, smoother, better on gas, last longer, don't burn oil, and have tremendous torque. The only advantage for 2 stroke being top end and weight.(that gap is shrinking quickly)

If Mercury Marine has spent several million dollars developing a line of SUPERCHARGED 4 stokes (Verados), to replace their clean burning 2 stroke (Optimax), you know 2 strokes days are numbered.

Sorry to go on a tear about outboards,the marine business is what I do for a living.

As far as forced induction, I would assume that a supercharger would be better on a bike than a turbocharger. The power curve is linear, as opposed to a turbocharger where it's exponential. With a turbocharger, you have a few seconds of lag, and then a surge of power and I would think that surge of power would be difficult to manage. A supercharger on the other hand has much smoother power delivery.

Why do some of the new jet-skis/waverunners have turbochargers? I would guess it's because when you're cruising on flat water you'd want to maximize your top end power (turbos are more efficient than superchargers) however I don't know for sure.

Fuel injection, more power, perhaps things like desmodronic valve time, variable valve timing - all the fancy stuff on roadbikes and cars. For offroad I dont think turbos will ever be real big, although there already is a nitrous oxide kit out on the market. Maybe future MX'ers will have superchargers. Two strokes have no future :cry:

Here's another idea coming from the automotive world: Electrically actuated valves. No more camshaft, no more lifters, no more followers, no more timing chain. Just a crank position sensor, a computer module, and a solenoid to move the valves up and down.

Advantages: unlimited cam profile and valve timing for any RPM without sacrificing one power-band for another, the whole RPM range becomes a power-band.

Disadvantages: engineers are still struggling to make a solenoid operate correctly above 7000 rpm, and they make alot of valve noise(I think both of these problems will be overcome with technology in the future)

some 4 strokes already compare with 2 strokes, i got a rmz 250 myself which weighs 204 lbs. my buddies sx 125 (that's a ktm for those of u who don't know) weighs 203. I'll give up the pound for the low end grunt any day :cry:

You are comparing a 250 to a 125 :cry:...that's cc's for those of "U" who dont know!! :cry: :cry:

who cares about cc's, power to weight ratio is what he was talking about

Fuel injection, more power, perhaps things like desmodronic valve time, variable valve timing - all the fancy stuff on roadbikes and cars. For offroad I dont think turbos will ever be real big, although there already is a nitrous oxide kit out on the market. Maybe future MX'ers will have superchargers. Two strokes have no future :cry:

well an expansion chamber is sorta like a supercharger, just... in reverse :cry:

some 4 strokes already compare with 2 strokes, i got a rmz 250 myself which weighs 204 lbs. my buddies sx 125 (that's a ktm for those of u who don't know) weighs 203. I'll give up the pound for the low end grunt any day :cry:

You are comparing a 250 to a 125 :cry:...that's cc's for those of "U" who dont know!! :cry::lol:

O....K..then let's compare a rmz250 against a rm250! I wonder which bike would come out on top?? After all who cares about cc's :cry: :cry:

some 4 strokes already compare with 2 strokes, i got a rmz 250 myself which weighs 204 lbs. my buddies sx 125 (that's a ktm for those of u who don't know) weighs 203. I'll give up the pound for the low end grunt any day :lol:

You are comparing a 250 to a 125 :cry:...that's cc's for those of "U" who dont know!! :cry::lol:

O....K..then let's compare a rmz250 against a rm250! I wonder which bike would come out on top?? After all who cares about cc's :cry: :cry:

rmz250- 204lbs. rm250- 212lbs. Apples vs. Oranges. The original comparison was between bikes that weighed less than a pound different. By your logic, we might as well compare an xr50 to a cr500. :cry:

You are comparing a 250 to a 125 :cry:...that's cc's for those of "U" who dont know!! :lol: :lol:

O....K..then let's compare a rmz250 against a rm250! I wonder which bike would come out on top?? After all who cares about cc's :lol: :lol:

rmz250- 204lbs. rm250- 212lbs. Apples vs. Oranges. The original comparison was between bikes that weighed less than a pound different. By your logic, we might as well compare an xr50 to a cr500. :lol:

:lol: :lol:....That was just plain STUPID!!! :lol::cry:...and by your logic,we should be comparing an xr500 to a pw50!! :cry: :cry: :lol::p;) ;) :cry::lol:

pneumatic/hydraulic actuated valves

fuel injection

ceramic coatings of internal parts

my personal favorite: carbon fiber frames

dream on: traction control

some 4 strokes already compare with 2 strokes, i got a rmz 250 myself which weighs 204 lbs. my buddies sx 125 (that's a ktm for those of u who don't know) weighs 203. I'll give up the pound for the low end grunt any day :lol:

You are comparing a 250 to a 125 :cry:...that's cc's for those of "U" who dont know!! :lol: :lol:

O....K..then let's compare a rmz250 against a rm250! I wonder which bike would come out on top?? After all who cares about cc's :lol: :lol:

rmz250- 204lbs. rm250- 212lbs. Apples vs. Oranges. The original comparison was between bikes that weighed less than a pound different. By your logic, we might as well compare an xr50 to a cr500. :cry:

:lol: :lol:....That was just plain STUPID!!! :cry: :cry:...and by your logic,we should be comparing an xr500 to a pw50!! :cry::lol: :lol: :p;) ;) :cry::lol:

:confused:Since when do an xr500 and a pw50 weigh any where close to the same???? The point I'm making is that you should compare bikes of similar size and weight, not displacement of the engine alone.

pneumatic/hydraulic actuated valves

fuel injection

ceramic coatings of internal parts

my personal favorite: carbon fiber frames

dream on: traction control

Ohhhhh! Could you just imagine!

Titanium Frame (or carbon)

Supercharged

Fuel injected

2 Trac 2wd system

Air shocks

200 lbs. total! It would be down right scary......and wicked expensive! :cry:

Someday!

badbird, i see u got a ktm. too bad my friend lost that race on his sx (we're going back for round 2 on the street monday :cry:) the sad part is that an rmz 250 will out pull an rm250 on the bottom 3 gears. When u do hit powerband on the rm it will catch up quickly and eventually pass the rmz. Unfortunately u won't have much of a chance to hit that powerband in ur upper gears on the trail.

Right on chipwich about the hydraulic actuated valves,

I remember awhile back in a motocross action mag. The were interviewing The yoshimura Bros. They were asked "what do you see for 4 strokes in the future" and Thats what they said the future of 4 stokes is going to be, but all they said was somtime in the next 10 years?

Some already posted:

fuel injection

desmodronic valve timing

hydraulic valve timing

Road racing technology.

Others:

more juice clutches stock

Programable ignition (from the factory)

Ignition map switch

Auto clutch

Relocation of the gas tank to below the top frame tube, airbox on top.

tubeless tires

ABS braking

programmable suspension

traction control

reflective sound cancelling mufflers

Renaming of MX classes:

125 -> 250 class

250 -> Open class

Deja vu all over again!

as far as chassis & suspension goes

electronically controlled valve shims (fork & shock)

Ti springs (stock, not aftermarket)

rubber mounted footpegs, kind of like rubber mounted triple clamps

Ti frames

Plastic frames :cry:

engine

electronically actuated valves

electronically controlled reed valves (ever hear of magnets? :cry:)

oh yea, alternative fuels and oils (2strokes 4 lyfe!!!)

Some already posted:

fuel injection

desmodronic valve timing

hydraulic valve timing

Road racing technology.

If Ducati ever makes a dirtbike, it will be a desmo. Im getting it even if I have to sell my soul to Satan.

more juice clutches stock

Yeah probably.

Programable ignition (from the factory)

That would be good with programable EFI.

Ignition map switch

Husaberg already has that I think.

Auto clutch

Im not sure that will ever come stock from the factory. I certainly hope not!

Relocation of the gas tank to below the top frame tube, airbox on top.

They tried that in a 80's works bike... check the 2002 December issue of Dirt Bike to read about it!

tubeless tires

Yeah

ABS braking

That would mean no stoppies or rear wheel lockups. I dont think that will be incorporated.

programmable suspension

That would be awesome

traction control

Probably not, as sliding your bike is a big part of offroad and MX technique.

reflective sound cancelling mufflers

BMW do that with their twins... can that be done with a single? Just asking...

Renaming of MX classes:

125 -> 250 class

250 -> Open class

Deja vu all over again!

hehehehehehe