Sign in to follow this  

DR650 fuel mileage?

Well, I finally got my new-to-me '98 DR650 on the road this week and have been commuting to work on it everyday this week (damn this bike is a hoot!). While on my way to work today, it ran out a fuel at about 118 miles. I switched to reserve and rode it to the nearest gas station to fill it up. It took 2.37 gallons and had gone a total of 122.2 miles. Fuel mileage figured out to 51.5 mpg. Here's my question:

How far can you typically go before you absolutely need gas? I read in my owner’s manual that the bike has a 3.2-gallon tank. Yet I when I filled up the tank it took approximately 2.4 gallons. Am I correct in assuming the reserve is about .8 gallon in capacity, and I can probably go about 150-160 miles before I need to fill up? What kind of mileage do you guys get?

Ok, only got about 2300 miles on my DR, (2.5 months old), but I figure I get right at 50 MPG...regardless of what I'm doing, there has only been one time I got SUCKY mileage...(BAD gas, SERIOUS wind, 80 MPH...that sorta thing), but I haven't run it out of gas...always fill up at 100-115 miles.

I just don't like the idea of not having a 'back up', so I haven't ridden it until 'PUSH TIME'. But...I'd think 50 MPG, 3 gallon tank...I'd feel safe going...Uh....130 miles?

Have run out TWICE, both times on the way to work, and had the reserve, but would HATE to run out 50 miles from NOWHERE!! I live in South Dakota, so 50 miles from NOWHERE is EASY as HECK to get to!!! So, at 90 miles I start LOOKING, at 110 miles I start PRAYING, and so far, knock on wood, I've been lucky! LOL LOL

Hope this helps, eh?

Tom

yeah i get like around 130 miles before i get the little hiccup and have to switch the reserve.

When my '01 DR650 was all stock it would go on reserve at 124 miles. When I swapped out the trail wings for a set of Dunlop's D606 knobs the mileage suffered a little.

Now with air box mods,a pipe,a rejet(170 Dynajet)and a 14 tooth front sprocket it goes on reserve at about 94 miles.

Getting more power out of the motor requires more fuel to go thru but the mileage loss is well worth it!

Just figured I'd throw in what you could expect from mileage after a few mods.

Mike.

Took a little trip last summer from my place (near Vancouver, B.C. Canada) to P5Pilot's neck of the woods (Black Hills, SD--very nice country, BTW). Round trip mileage: 2,743. Stock 1996 DR650SE (U.S., non-Calif. model). When I was keeping up with/passing traffic on I-90 (80 mph-ish) I would hit reserve at as little as 90 miles. Normally around here (hwy limit 100 kmh/60 mph) I can go about 120 miles before I hit reserve. I have since picked up an IMS tank and will have my stock seat reupholstered before any more trips of that length (ouch)!

Well heck, next time you plan a trip, let me know a couple of weeks ahead of time, and if it's possible, I'd be happy to act as 'tour guide'.

Maybe by then I'll even know where to go trail riding! LOL LOL

Tom

Got you all beat!

I get 39 to 38 with either the 160 or 170 jet, k&n, supertrapp most all very short trips around town, 2500' and plenty of gassing it. I'm pretty sure stock i only got 45 mpg, had to hit reserve at 110 miles. I ride it to work every day, 1.2 miles and haven't been caught in the rain one time since i bought it in February in Vegas. Glad i left Cincinnati.

If you ever do run out of gas there is about 1/2 a gal at the bottom of the tank you wont get to even on prime. Some times a little leaning the bike over will save you from pushing especially on aftermarket tanks.

P5Pilot,

You should be able to find tons of fire/logging roads to ride on. Some great old logging roads in Spearfish Canyon. I haven't ridden a motorcycle on them, but have Mtn. biked them often.

Buffy

Buffy,

I am under the impression that there is going to be a system of MARKED trails within the next year. I'm just terribly leary of riding on roads/trails that are possibly ILLEGAL! I'm not a 'greenie', but don't believe in tearing up anything that doesn't need to be tore up...AND, I don't want a ticket or anything of that nature. So many of the trails we used to ride in Wyoming when I was younger, we could have gotten in MAJOR trouble...and I don't want to break any laws. I have rode through Spearfish canyon, as well as up towards Nemo...my daughter and I rode up there just a couple of weeks ago, and although they are all paved roads, it was COOL!!!!!

P5,

You should be OK on most of the dirt roads in Spearfish Canyon because they are on forest service property. You could spend weeks up there riding and never be on the same trail twice. Check with the Forest Service in Spearfish and they should be able to tell you were it's OK to ride. I live in Idaho now, but used to live in Rapid. Have a family cabin in the Canyon, so I've had a lot of opportunity to ride in the Black Hills.

This isn't exactly about fuel mileage anymore, but I really enjoyed my trip to the Black Hills last summer--I'll be back for sure. My buddy (from Denver) and I wanted to take a trip somewhere fairly laid back, but with interesting things to see. We did the SD tourist thing big time: Spearfish via Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood, Rapid City, SD Air and Space Museum (great display of military planes), Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse memorial, Hill City, Custer, Custer State Park (hiked to the top of Harney Peak), Wind Cave National Park, Badlands National Park, Wall, Pine Ridge Reservation (Wounded Knee), even stopped into Sturgis the week before the big rally. Folks there were really friendly--even to a Canadian :cry: on a Japanese bike in the heart of Harley land. Most were fairly impressed at how far I'd come to get there (and then whispered when they thought no one was looking that they had some sort of Japanese bike at home in the garage too). There's a motorcycle museum in Sturgis with British bikes, Japanese bikes, track bikes and, of course, Harleys. And, strangely enough, the only Harley in the Harley dealership was an old Sturgis Special. My buddy didn't come on a dual sport bike, so I didn't do any real off-road, but it would be nice country to ride on forest service roads--next time, maybe. I wouldn't want to ride anything too tricky since I would need the bike in one piece for the 1,350-mile ride home! The whole area is bike friendly too (campsites, gas stations, etc.), though it looks like Harleys outnumber everything else 100 to 1 in the summer. Anyway, I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a family- or outdoors-oriented holiday.

My dr650se is now just over 4 months old,with 1200 miles.I am getting between 41 and 45 miles per gallon,89 octane at sea level in east central Florida.The bike is completely stock.My ride is 95 per cent on highway to and from work for 10 minutes rarely over 60 mph.Yes I do 'goose' it occasionally,but not routinely.That just seems to me wrong.Does anyone else get similar results? Thanks.

Unmodified 2005 with 12000+ miles. I get 58-59 MPG not trying. I have gotten almost 65 mpg by totally babying it running 45-50 mph. Very consistent

With stock exhaust and dynojetted I've always been able to average between 50 and 55 mpg. Now that I am on a FCR carb, I'm getting 51-52 mpg around town. Haven't stretched the legs yet on a highway trip to see what she'll do but I bet it's pretty close to the old setup.

mpg.gif

I am not gentle on the throttle.

The BST mpg values are as stock from the dealer, zero mods. High mpg is mostly longer distance trips, low mpg is mostly city streets.

The FCR needs to be tuned, it's running a little rich right now.

So,does anyone have a clue what could be the problem on mine?It runs good,no problems yet.Have done 2 oil changes so far.I keep the tires properly inflated.Miles are so far all road.I am perplexed.Thanks for your thoughts.:busted::worthy::ride::blah:

Thanks.No,I have assumed that since most refer to the thing being set on the lean side from the factory,that mine is also.I should pull the plugs though and have a look.:busted: