Sign in to follow this  

TE510 opinions

Calling all Husky Guru's,

Do I replace my 04 525EXC with an 05 TE510?

I was a Husky deciple back in the early nineties and I have been waiting for Husky to catch-up on the KTOOM's technology. Have they caught up with there latest gorgeous offering?

Here in OZ the bike prices are about the same so thats not a factor.

Is the stock suspension better than the KTM's. I've spent many hours & money trying to get the KTM suspension to a happy medium but I'd rather just buy and ride.

Any comments appreciated

O.K., I'll chime in first. (but let me say up front, I AM NOT A HUSQVARNA CHEERLEADER!) I don't know the reason for replacing a one year old bike but I will say that one of the reasons I got rid of my KTM was the suspension. (the other was the dealer was an A-Hole) I could not get comfortable with the rear suspension on my KTM. I am not an expert or pro by any messure, but the rear end had a mind of it's own. I dont know if it was the link-less aspect or what, I just know it would decide on it's own to bite you in the a$$ sometimes.

As far as the Husky suspension, it's not perfect as delivered FOR MY WIEGHT, but the bike behaves like you would exspect even when too soft.

If you have accsess to a good dealer, that makes all the difference.

So far I have had ZERO problems with my bike (other than my friends not wanting to give it back when they ride it)and I have only had to adjust my valves once after a VERY CARFUL BREAK-IN. (just checked last week and they are perfect)

I would try to bum a ride on one, I try to let as many people as I can ride my 450...just so they undrstand why I'm always giggling to myself.

Maybe one of the mags will do a head to head 525-510

Happy roosting :cry:

Excellent feedback, I know some of the guys here with KTMs reckon they've got "weird" suspension habits.

But I just had to post and say that your after seeing your login name, all I could think of was Newcastle Brown Ale...

Yummmmmmmm ;-)

I dont consider myself a guru by any measure. I will give you my impressions about my 510 though. So far mechanically it has been near perfect. I check the valve clearance after every ride and it has never moved in the almost 500 miles I've ridden. I bought the bike to trail ride and it is too much of a beast in the tight stuff. Two problems were evident. 1 was a cough stall when coming off idle and 2 was too much HP to deal with when you needed to finesse something. Both problems were solved by installing a Rekluse Z start clutch. With the Z there is no load on the engine coming off idle. The stalling is gone without having to re-jet. The other thing is my kids quit trail riding and now want to ride MX and Hare scramles. The 510 is amazing riding HS or GP. It isnt the weapon of choice for MX but is still a blast to ride on the track. High speed GP or desert, it tracks straight and doesnt need really a stabilizer. Aside from the Z Start, All it needs is a Rooster skid pan and Radiator guard and some hand guards and better tires. The Enduro Comps on it never hooked up very well in the loose stuff. Cornering in the dirt looked like I was Super Motarding. Gas milage is about 25mpg at race speed. about 55 miles range on the track, dont know what it gets on the trail. I have been very happy with my beast and have no complaints. Got a great dealer up here too. Husky NW and Tasky's Metric Cycle :cry: :cry:

Comparing the 525EXC to the 510. I know the 510 will beat the 525 in a drag race. Last GP I did I was dualing with a 525. I got ahead of him every straight and he would get around me every tight turn (Damn Euro Comps). The KTM is a fantastic bike. The Husky just has major coolness because you will have the only one at the track.

I think the Husky's biggest selling point is the ease in adjusting the valves. Keeping the valves in check is about the most important maintenance item on a four stroke and Husky has made checking the valves painless so you can and will do it often.

On top of that they are a real nice bike though I have the TE250 and not the 510. I am getting 33mpg in the tight woods so my 3 gallon IMS tank will get me nearly 100 trail miles if I can ever ride that far.

The 2005's should be even better.

Greg

Thanks heaps for those replies. It sounds like the latest generation Husky 4's are like I remember they used to be - "different but good".

I've had a very brief ride of a 04 TE510 and it seamed on par with my 525 only a bit softer front & back. The front break was brilliant. To obtain an 05 bike in the first shipment I have to put a deposit down now, so I won't be able to get a test ride before I own the thing. However, I'm trying to organise a ride on a 05 450 before crunch time.

Any result probably won't deter me at this stage!!

I do heaps of miles so my 04 KTM is getting sad. Thats why I'm replacing each year.

P.s. Is the Husky exhaust Ti or S/Steel ?

:cry:

I've since learnt a bit more about the 05 TE510's.

Only the TC models come with the Ti exhaust. The TE's have stainless headers with alloy muffler.

The 05 450 gets a modified crank and clutch basket but the 510 doesn't (thats weird).

The 450's are available now and the 510's will be in December.

My local dealer has rode a 05 TE450 and remarks that the engine responce is far sharper than the 04 model and seems very smooth thoughout the rev range. Starting is much improved. The front forks are still heavily damped but the rear felt better. Brakes are fantastic and the clutch pull seems lighter. The new ergo's are nice but the seat is wider which makes the bike feel even taller than the 04 model is.

Detail of finish is first rate.

December, bring it on!!

The 450's are available now? Where?

Yer, sorry 123. I'm in Australia and the 450's are on the dealer floors now. They look smick. Price is A$12,450 plus on-road costs. :cry:

Ok phew...I was scared there for a second. Kinda like when you just wake up and know you're late for work or somethin'!

Does the TE510 have similar (ie near 100 mph) gearing to the 525 EXC? Not looking to go to Bonneville here but I'm wondering what kind of legs it has for the roads and open stuff? :cry:

Does the TE510 have similar (ie near 100 mph) gearing to the 525 EXC? Not looking to go to Bonneville here but I'm wondering what kind of legs it has for the roads and open stuff? :cry:

I'm running stock sprockets at around 5200 feet asl and my TE510 tops out around 70-80.

ktl...

The 250/450/510 Huskys 6th gear is shorter the the 6th on an EXC.

William

Santa Cruz