Sign in to follow this  

New 450sx help

OK, I'm picking up a new 04 450sx this weekend, and I would like to know what jetting mods to do. I have read here that the bike comes jetted very lean.

I also have read that there is a problem with the rear wheel clearance for the exhaust canister.(Rear tire scrubs). Does anyone no what the best remedy is for this? or is this just a trivial problem that has no consiquence other that marking the exhaust canister.

Lastly I would like to know if the front fender slapping the tire when comming off jumps is an issue or annoyance? Will an EXC fender brace resolve this?

The other issues (valve cover bolt replacement, valve clearence check interval and kickstarter bolt loose) im aware of.

Thanx

For me stock jetting worked best after tried other set-ups.

Tire rub disappeared when switched to PC T-4 pipe.

Awesome bikes!

James Dean on the jetting issue, it eliminates all the guess work. Yes the exc brace will fix the front fender problem. Two ways to fix the muffler rub;1.Have some one hold the bike the other way while you yank on the canister with both hands, carefully now its aluminum just a little bit;2. remove the muffler and use a crescent wrench to just slightly bend out the muffler mounts and thats all problem fixed. :cry:

The SX's are not as lean as the EXC/MXC bikes as they are not Cali Green sticker certified.