Sign in to follow this  

Racinaces Hawaii Story...

Hawaii Ride – September 26, 2004

0620 – Wake-up and enjoy some delicious fresh pineapple (from the ground not the tree Jeff) and a great tasting bagel with some delicious cream cheese.

0815 – Meet Torture Chambers at the local drive in breakfast for some additional fuel for the day ahead. Upon arriving we were introduced to about 14 of the nicest, most hospitable guys you could ever meet. Actually we felt like lunch in a fish bowl and all these boys were hungry. Blane and Brian hooked my buddy Jeff and I up with two very nice rides for the day. I would be riding a 2004 CRF250X and Jeff would be on a 2003 KDX 220 with all the appropriate goodies that we installed only a few nights before.

As we unloaded and got ready to ride I noticed a lack of chest protectors among the local riders. Not thinking too much of this I continued to prep just as I did to ride on the main land. With all my normal gear on I felt I was adequately prepared for the days ride. Blane suggested that we would be riding approximately 30 miles on the day. Hummm… thirty miles and Blane is making Jeff pack extra gas for that KDX… that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense… but whatever.

There is no legal riding on the island of Oahu; well at least not where we were riding so we were on our own if the Hawaii five O showed on the scene. (Not likely) As we were told there is a general understanding between the local law officials and the riders of the island. Just for the record we had no issues the entire day.

As we hit the trail it was very evident that this was not like any riding I had ever done before. We hit some long grass trails that I had trouble making out where the trail went. The grass was 8 – 12’ tall in most sections. From there we hit the slippery stuff. The trails were very tight and wet. The further we progressed the more of the wet slop we encountered. The trails seemed somewhat familiar initially as they were somewhat like what I am used to in Oregon. This all changed very quickly as the trails became more technical. Not only did we have to wiggle the bars through narrow trees, but also we had to keep an eye out for overgrowth above our heads. I have never ridden so much with my head laying sideways on the bars in all my life.

The weather conditions were very hot and humid. 85-90 degrees with humidity in the 85% range. Our first challenge came at about the 3-mile mark. It was a fairly small hill for a total accent of about 150’. I was sitting about 4th in line of the 16 riders in the pack. As I listened to the bikes in front of me attempt the hill everyone was taking the fork to the left, as that was the reported “better line”. When my turn was up, I applied my knowledge of mud riding (which isn’t much) that momentum was key. I started off slugging through the snot in first and quickly notched up to second and grabbed a hand-full of throttle. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the trail to the left as it passed…. Oops! Oh well. I stayed on the gas and started up the right side. Traction was better than I had anticipated and all was going well until I hit a nasty root about 1/3 up the hill. The tree root sent me to the left and I clipped a tree with my left shoulder, which slowed my accent. Shortly there after I stopped and had to bulldog my bike down to the bottom. I rejoined the pack of riders waiting their turn at the hill. It was at this point was when I noticed the distinct foul smell in the thick air. I was informed that it was the smell of pig crap. Wild bore roam this area and make frequent deposits. This combined with the mix of antifreeze and fuel spilled onto the hill wasn’t improving traction for the hill. I ended up making the hill on my 4th attempt with lots of help from the locals. Blane had what he considered the help point. You have to make it to this point of the hill before anyone is allowed to help you. I eventually made it to that point where I was greeted with plenty of hands to help pull and push my bike up the rest of the hill. Eventually everyone made the hill. Let’s just say some trail maintenance was done too.

The trails dried out a bit over the next couple of miles and we got a bit of a second wind. At this point we were now finding out why no one else was wearing chest protectors, neck guards, etc. We were sweating our butts off and paying the price. At this point we were only a few miles into the trail and I was dying already! I was over-heating already and wasn’t real sure how I was going to fix it. The trails only got harder and more technical from this point on and it became a battle of endurance. We found our way down / up (not really sure which at this point!) a trail called bomber hill. The trail was named this because there were several WWII aircraft that had deposited themselves in the hillside. Truly an awesome sight to see these planes untouched in the original locations they have sat for the last 60+ years. At this point Blane could see I was suffering. Every hill was a challenge for me and the heat and humidity were taking their toll. Blane cut out the more difficult sections of the trail to come and found the “easiest way” for us to return. Still we found some very technical, off-camber single track with breath taking views of the coast line of Oahu.

At the end of the day we were treated to some of the best food of our vacation. These boys know how to do it right. After emptying the coolers the guys set up a ramp stretched across two coolers and set-up an awesome food line of great food. Fresh fish, and a great food called “Pipikaula”. If you ever get the chance definitely try it. It’s a marinated corned beef “spicy” best eaten with a couple leafs of pickled onion.

One week later I rode with Blane and his beautiful wife to be at the Hahuku motorsports park. The trails were noticeably dryer and less overgrown. We rode about for about 3 hours or so and saw even more great views of the pacific. More great people and food too.

The hospitality of everyone involved in the riding on each of the occasions was beyond my expectations. If you are ever in Hawaii and have the desire to ride, contact torture chambers prior to going. He will recommend the best place to stay and ride. He is also aware of the best food in town too.

But… and this is a big but….make sure you are honest about your riding ability prior to going and make sure no matter what your ability you are in the best shape of your life. The “B” and “C” trails in Hawaii are like the “AA” and “A” trails of the mainland. There were a total of 17 trails for approximately 35 miles. We rode 4 of the 17 trails. The trails were some of the muddiest and slipperiest I have ever ridden anywhere. Torture said that they were the wettest that they had been all year….. I believe it.

I can't wait to go back!!! :cry:

Pics and skulcam footage to follow soon...

Ace

Ace is a good guy and can come riding with us anytime we want to go for a short ride. :cry: Just kidding Ace! It takes time to adjust to Hawaiian trails.

The 35 mile section is one loop of many to ride here. This weekend its Needsprayers turn to try our trails. I'll try to be nice... :cry:

Hey Ace ,It was fun riding with you and Jeff,I really thought id see those chest protector in a tree somewhere but you wanted to keep them pretty bad.

Well now you know what to expect for next time.

:cry: