Setting up my new "05" 525exc Jetting / Suspension Suggestions?

I am finally getting off the DRZ, she's been great but her time has past.

Bought a new "05" 525exc (at 42 I thought what the heck I want the best), but havent picked her up yet. The dealer is getting her setup to my fullfill my wishes. Hand guards, damper, skid plate etc. They even changed the tank with an mxc for me to get the extra gallon of capacity for me.

They did'nt seem very sure if any jetting changes were needed to let her run. I'm riding at 0-5000 ft. elevation, California desert and Baja. Suggestions? ?

On the suspension, I'm 230# 6'5" and they said I did'nt need to change the springs untill they tried to set the sag and ran out of threads on the shock. Then they said maybe I did need to change the spring. ? Suggestions? ? Forks also? ?

Does anyone have the optional compensation tank? Is it worth it? The DRZ had one and it would gather some antifreeze during low speed technical stuff, then it would draw it back into the radiator when she cooled. Better than just dumping out fluid during brief over heating periods.

I will be running the stock pipe and dropping the countershaft sprocket from the 14 to a 13.

Your wisdom is appreciated in advance!

You're going to need to change the jetting without a doubt. For your weight, you'll also have to change the rear spring. And if you change the rear spring, you will need to change the front, then you'll also have to get it revavled. Get ready to drop about 600 bucks ?

(I had to do this last weekend on my 05 525)

You're going to need to change the jetting without a doubt. For your weight, you'll also have to change the rear spring. And if you change the rear spring, you will need to change the front, then you'll also have to get it revavled. Get ready to drop about 600 bucks ?

Why do you say he will need a re-valve? ?

As far as jetting....

Get a James Dean jetting kit. I did and am a happy camper. It's simple, it's easy, it's set up right.

As far as suspension... you'll need springs at least. I'm a 230 pounder (plus gear) and am still researching the rest before throwing a pile of cash at my bike.

The suspension forum here is a great help in figuring it all out. I have an '05 450 EXC.

Jake, I just got the same bike and have about 6 hours on it now. I'm on the east coast so my jetting will be a little different, but I had the dealer install the JD kit before I even took it home. I think the fuel squirt duration needs to be cut back also on the accelerator pump because it has an annoying cough and way rich feeling right off closed throttle when working in tight stuff. Adjusting the fuel screw doesn't get it. Routing the crankcase breather hose off of the carb inlet is also supposed to help, and I am going to do that today along with the squirt duration.

As for suspension I outweigh you by about 10 lbs. and found the rear shock to be soft for my weight with the 80/250 spring which came stock on the bike. I found a guy who traded me his 88/250 for my spring and I'm going to install that spring today and try it out. The fork felt very harsh when brand new and seemed to loosen up or break in with each ride. Yesterday I backed off 2 clicks on the compression dampers and the fork felt awesome in the woods. I haven't tried running it around a track yet but I'm pretty sure it will need some additional work if you want to jump it.

It does get hot and spit coolant if you're not moving. I'm thinking about the auxiliary fan for working in really tight stuff.

I plan to do a gearing change also, but on the rear. I'm thinking about a 50 or 51 so I can move the rear wheel up and shorten the wheelbase without cutting the chain. The bottom end power is way too soft for my liking and it doesn't wheelie over logs as easy as I want when caught in too high of a gear.

I know most people here will grumble about loud pipes but I feel like the stocker is choking the bike. I'll probably try some kind of fully open aftermarket in the near future.

Here is a link to a few ktm tips and tricks which explain the carb mods. Be sure to look at the Larry Roesler section at the bottom too. http://www.4strokes.com/tech/ktm/

Some more good reading on this bike here: http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/525exc/

Why do you say he will need a re-valve? ?

That's what I was told, and I weigh just a little more than he does...

And the hand guards and skid plate and shark fin and number plate backgrounds and the GPS mount and the new GPR under the bar dampner and the etc. etc. etc. The price of the bike is a moving target, but I'm having a blast! Just wish I could ride her for once. ?

• 2 weeks later...