Sign in to follow this  

Little weeping out of little hole by water pump on side of engine?

2005 EXC400. I noticed there was a little bit of fluid on the outside of my cylinder and then saw a little hole near the water pump. Is this something that happens once in awhile in the tight going? Not a lot just a small amount of wheeping. Should I have the dealer look at it...it has been awhile, but I don't remember my 02 doing this?? Maybe it is selective memory.

Thanks for your help.

Mine did the same thing. I checked out the forums and evidently it just does that. Then it stops after "a while". I believe it's a seal seating. Mine stopped after about 4 to 6 hours of riding. I have an '05 450EXC.

Register over at KTMTALK.com and look around.

Those guys can tell you anything about a KTM. :cry:

My '05 525exc did it too once and stopped. Hasn't done it again since. Somebody somewhere said it was grease they used to lubricate the seal at assembly. Not sure if that's true or not.

Yep, a little bit of seepage is "normal" and nothing to worry about. But if the amount increases steadily then that is probably a signal of a WP seal issue. Fortunately, it is an easy fix. Go over to KTMtalk.com and you will find a lot of info on this.

R

My '04 450exc did it from new when i bought it 6 months ago and i was told that it was definately not a grease leaking from inside the water pump and it was in fact a seal inside the pump housing.

Any one notice that in the new motocross action the pic of the new 05 450 SX the cylinder looks kinda wet.

Really boiled my '02 520 exc in some tight stuff a few weeks ago and had the same leak. I replaced all the seals, carrier, o rings and it still leaked so i put another set in. Didn't look like the new seals i'd put in were damaged at all. Anyway second set went in, took her for a run and its leaking again. The old seals were black but the new ones are brown. I was going to call the dealer in the morning and give him a piece of my mind that these seals were either the wrng ones or crap!!!! I've missed two events and have binned gallons of coolant so need to know for definate before i let loose on the dealer 'Do new seals need time to seat properly? or should they seal straight away??

If the rads are overfull and the bike gets hot, it might weep a little. But if it continues to do so, it's not normal and the WP seal should be replaced. I have a how-to on that at the 2nd link under my email address in this post.

Cheers Jeb i have and follow all your 'how too's ' they are invaluable! Really appreciate it, I'm going to talk to the dealer and run the bike for a few hours keeping a close eye o the leak which will hopefully sort itself out