Sign in to follow this  

Mods to YZ250F, help anyone?

Hey guys. I'm getting a 01 YZ250F in one week. I was looking at the FAQ for thigs to make it start easier. Came upon this:

Jamesnow mod

and the blue wire mod

Not to mention the cam.

The cam will come later on, but the blue wire mod will make the bike start easier if I kick faster and have the idle a bit higher. True?

Also, on the James now, does this also help out on starting. One thing I need to know is what type of epoxy to use. JB weld? I have some Goop household epoxy but I don't know it it would hold. I've used it on numberous things and I don't like it. Would JB weld work well? Getting the metal is no problem. I'll use leftover stainless steel from work.

Thanks a million guys. Anything else I could do?

One last thing. Anything I should know to kickstart these bikes without much effort. Even kickstarting (the CRF has no kickstarter). Any help is apreciated. :cry:

One last thing. Anything I should know to kickstart these bikes without much effort. Even kickstarting (the CRF has no kickstarter). Any help is apreciated. :cry:

Replace the stock exhaust cam with the 03 model decomp cam... and don't touch the throttle while you try to start the bike... the JamesNOW is not to make the bike start easier... that would be a t-handle for the fuel screw...

As for making and installing the JamesNow... a good job will see the plate a snug press-fit into the carb bell... no chemicals needed...

As suggested, the 250F forum may be the better place, although with some strategic searching and a bit of reading, you may be able to answer the questions for yourself... it's all in there somewhere... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Good luck,

David

Yeah, I'd do the cam first. Not only does it elimante the "Drill", but it makes it harder to stall in the corners.

Other than that, I'd get the suspension set up where you need it sooner rather than later

Replace the stock exhaust cam with the 03 model decomp cam... and don't touch the throttle while you try to start the bike... the JamesNOW is not to make the bike start easier... that would be a t-handle for the fuel screw...

As for making and installing the JamesNow... a good job will see the plate a snug press-fit into the carb bell... no chemicals needed...

As suggested, the 250F forum may be the better place, although with some strategic searching and a bit of reading, you may be able to answer the questions for yourself... it's all in there somewhere... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Good luck,

David

Thanks a lot Yamaha dude.

Maybe I'll start looking ok ebay for the cam.

I'll just do the mods and see how they plan out. The cam will come later because I wdon't want to spend all my money at one shot. Prob in anouther couple of months...

Reading the FAQ, they said to turn the bike till I hit the hardest spot, then go a inch or so past it. Then kick it steadily. Could not kicking steadily not start it? When I tried kicking over my brothers friends 250f, I may have kicked it too hard and it may have been a unsteady speed. I couldn't get the bike started!

Thanks guys. I'll post in the 250 forum next time. I just posted here to broaden the results for kickin over this bike :cry:

(the CRF has no kickstarter).

:cry: really? the 230F is electric start only? I didn't know that. Is the 150 and the 100 the same way? :cry:

No, the 150 and the 100 are kick starts only.

i would get a new chain and sprocket because the stockers can wear out rather quickly. handlebars, because the stockers bend and break the first time you fall, and an exhaust because the stock unit is way to restricting on the top-end. i would recommend a fmf factory 4, pro circuit ti-4, or white brothers carbon pro if your racing.

good luck!

Doug

i would get a new chain and sprocket because the stockers can wear out rather quickly. handlebars, because the stockers bend and break the first time you fall, and an exhaust because the stock unit is way to restricting on the top-end. i would recommend a fmf factory 4, pro circuit ti-4, or white brothers carbon pro if your racing.

good luck!

Doug

The bike has Renthals. I will be removing them and putting on Pro-Tapers on though. The bike has a FMF pipe. The sprocket I'll be changing when it gets down to a Ironman. Yes I know about that they can tear up the hubs. I'll be using blue loctite, and torquin it down :cry:

So do I have the starting procedure correct?

remove the backfire screen in the air filter. i just did it to my yz250f all the screen does is really restrict the air flow and back fires are very rare and to be safe just get a twin air filter they make a fire proof filter :cry: