Sign in to follow this  

LED for Acerbis enduro tailight -- this time w/ turnsignals

okay so after my first build of the LED array for the acerbis tail light, i tried another with turnsignals in it per DRZer's suggestion on my previous post...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1421260/page/2/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

after some fiddling and soldering, here's what i came up with...

taillight_1.gif

taillight_2.gif

taillight_3.gif

the basic contruction is similar to my first build but this time i used all 10,000 mcd LEDs since the 13000mcd LEDs i got have too narrow of a projection angle. i also used only two licensce plate LEDs so i could just add them as a parallel series to the 14 running light LEDs.

as you can see instead of using 24 LEDs for the brake light i used the center 12 for brake and 6 on each side for turn signals. although nowhere close to legal in any state or country, it's pretty decent for such a little light.

at first i wasn't keen on the idea of putting turn signals in, but now i kinda like it and i think i'll put it on my DRZ. PM me if your interested in one, with or without signals. if anyone wants more detailed pics or diagrams let me know.

cheers

droo

That's pretty sweet - nice work. :cry: When you get it on the bike, can you take a picture of it out in bright sunlight and post it here? I'd be interested to see how that looks.

here's a wiring diagram. if you don't want to do the turn singals, the only difference is you solder the very top row of positive leads all together and route them all thru a 24 ohm resistor, thus removing two of the 24 ohm resistors in the diagram below. also note all resistors are 1/4 watt and the LEDs are colored only for illustration purposes. all of these LEDs are 10,000mcd 3.2-3.8 volt white LEDs that i got off ebay from the user - ubiditnow

enjoy...

tail_diagram.gif

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never seen anything like that in my life... It's perfect!! and something that I'll do in my DRZ (when I return to Europe) as I thought about it but had no idea how to do it. I'll do it like in your other post, without turn signals, but with these leds, which seem brighter...

Awesome!!! :cry::cry:

OMG!!! That is the most beautiful thing I've seen yet on a dual-sport!!! How much did that cost in parts? :cry:

Gorgeous! :cry:

Yes... it looks amazing!!! and extremely effective, as it endures vibrations and bumps better than the original bulb, if nicely installed.

OMG!!! That is the most beautiful thing I've seen yet on a dual-sport!!! How much did that cost in parts? :cry:

thanks for the kudos! i haven't checked TT in a couple of days and there's like 6 new messages here!.

if you want to make one i think you're looking at spending $30 or more in materials. since you usually have to buy more than what you need and LEDs aren't really cheap unless you get a bunch of them.

i've made a couple so far and i think they are maybe $15-$20 in parts once you have a stash of parts and LEDs.

as for everyones request for a pic on the bike i will try to get one tomorrow and post it :cry:

thanks again for the kudos everyone. don't be afraid to make them yourself for different lenses, etc. working with LEDs is fun. i'm making a really cool turnsignal for my triumph tiger that will be hidden behind smoked acrylic in a dummy vent hole in the fairing. now that i have the no turnsignal look on the back of the DRZ i think i'm going to make some leds to poke out of my cycra guards for the front, that should be fun :cry:

thanks for the kudos! i haven't checked TT in a couple of days and there's like 6 new messages here!.

if you want to make one i think you're looking at spending $30 or more in materials. since you usually have to buy more than what you need and LEDs aren't really cheap unless you get a bunch of them.

i've made a couple so far and i think they are maybe $15-$20 in parts once you have a stash of parts and LEDs.

as for everyones request for a pic on the bike i will try to get one tomorrow and post it :lol:

thanks again for the kudos everyone. don't be afraid to make them yourself for different lenses, etc. working with LEDs is fun. i'm making a really cool turnsignal for my triumph tiger that will be hidden behind smoked acrylic in a dummy vent hole in the fairing. now that i have the no turnsignal look on the back of the DRZ i think i'm going to make some leds to poke out of my cycra guards for the front, that should be fun :cry:

I liked the new light bulbs you put on the triumph.. :cry: :cry: :lol:

Yes! It would be nice to see a pic in daylight... So we would be able to compare.

okay so i took some pics in the daylight. you'll notice i didn't remove my old signals yet, this is because it started to rain like a mother and i didn't have time. i included a pic with the full brake light - i'd like to make it so that was always the brake light and if you turned while braking it would blink the side part off and on. but i'm not sure how to wire it up that way. any suggestions?

anyway, it wasn't the brightest of days, but it was still during the day...

tail_pics_1.jpg

tail_pics_2.jpg

tail_pics_3.jpg

tail_pics_4.gif

tail_pics_5.gif

WWWWWWWWWWWWWoooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry::lol: :lol:

Looks fabulous!!! A friend of mine is good working with resistors, wires, etc... and he's gonna have some work in my bike when I return to Spain... Wow!! Compare this:

tail_pics_2.jpg

To your old taillight on your table:

IMG_8912.jpg

(Having in mind that the last pic was taken indoors without a lot of light...)

I really think that the led light deserves a :cry::lol: :lol: :cry:

You're a genius! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again!

N.B.- Unabiker began manufacturing his own radiator guards and when people liked them he began selling them... have you thought about manufacturing these lights for the DRZs of the Thumpertalkers? :lol: :lol: :p

A little off-topic, but I'm desperately trying to find a close-up pic of a triple clamp of the cycra handguards (like yours)... Would you mind posting a close-up pic of the handlebar of your bike with the handguards? I have in mind ordering them but, given that I have bar risers+taller handlebars I would like to see this setup closer... so I can decide if I need the bar mount or the triple clamp like yours.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I really think that the led light deserves a :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You're a genius! :cry::lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again!

N.B.- Unabiker began manufacturing his own radiator guards and when people liked them he began selling them... have you thought about manufacturing these lights for the DRZs of the Thumpertalkers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

i dunno about genius, but thanks! i don't think i'll be quiting my day job anytime soon, but i can make a few extra if people want one.

here's my cycra guards, not sure if you can manage them with bar riser, but it could happen =)

04_IMG_3343.jpg

Thanks for the pic!! I requested one like this in some occasions but I wasn't lucky... Now I'll have to think if I'd be able to install it. :cry:

Thanks again!!