Sign in to follow this  

Opinions auto clutch for YZF 250 ?

Rekluse z-start is awesome.

Search the General forum for "auto clutch" "z-start" "rekluse" and "revlock"

You'll have some reading to do. :cry:

I put a revloc in my 04 250F. It was a little weird at first but I was growing to like it. Then for no reason, with almost no time on the bike, third gear came apart. I took the clutch out and put on a shelf in the garage. I really don't think the clutch had anything to do with the tranny breaking. I think it was the third gear, no clutch holeshots I was pulling off the cement.

What kind of riding are you doing? Works great in the trails, a lot easier in the technical sections and every section for that matter. I tried it on the track following my nephew, who is a track rider, and could keep up a little easier than with the manual clutch. You don't have the zip like when you clutch it coming out of the turns, but, you tend to take turns a lot more smoothly and still turn the same time or faster. You also don't have the jerking when clutching so you don't get as tired. Also, I find myself using FULL throttle a lot more around the track than I would with a regular clutch. It's like riding a PW250F. :cry:

Thanks for feedback. I do trail, woods & hillclmbing in Western Canada mountains. EZ-clutch is little more expensive then a Stealthy Flywheel, so I thought I would get some user opinions. (13oz worked great on 90 WR250 2-stroke).

I run a Z-Start in the trails and on the MX track. It is great on the track and even better in the woods. I am very familiar with the 3 major auto clutch designs on the market, and I think the Z-Start is the best design.

how long will one last? I wouldn't want to replace one every couple of years.

Would it increase wear of the rest of the transmission? Remember 4 strokes aren't suppose to be feathered.

The z-start with the light spring on it engages just off of idle or a little higher if you set it that way so it's not like its going to slip all the time, only when the rev's drop. The clutch action is perfect everytime and it only takes around an hour to install. You see the rev loc clutch is not designed to let the clutch slip in case of a sudden lock up and it will destroy gears and things like that, but since the z-start replaces the pressure plate with a ball roller design it will slip and will not waste expensive parts.

You will find yourself with a z-start doing more technicle stuff easily! Why you may ask? thats simple! Perfect clutch engagement, no stalling, no pulling in a clutch all the time and arm pump goes way down in the left hand and forearm!

Yes more expensive than a steahly fww but well worth it in my opinion :cry:

Thanks CBDADDY & VTEC. The '01yz250f I just bought has an '03 autocam & I would highly recommend it. (black button for cold & red button for hot, then 1 or 2 kicks). I will review Z-start purchase over the winter....if its 1/2 as good as autocam, I'm sold.

Excuse the ignorance but am I understanding this right? Do these auto clutches autmatically pull the clutch for each shift. No more clutch lever?

Correct - no more clutch lever. This really only comes into play when starting and stopping. Everything in-between is the same as having a clutch lever and never using it. Even an auto clutch does not dis-engage while shifting gears. You are still shifting without using the clutch, but a slight blip of the throttle is all you need to mesh the gears and keep on going. What the auto clutch does get you is the slow speed control and lots of lee-way on screw-ups. No more feathering the clutch - just grab a gear and nail it. It made a much smoother rider out of me. I am a huge fan of the Z-Start. :cry: I forgot to add, you can keep the clutch lever with the Z-Start if you wish. The lever will overide the clutch in the event you do want to slip the clutch or disengage it at high RPM's.

so it's like a 'dogmission' on a car? you can stil use the clutch, but the rest of the time you can just bang through the gears?

nutty! how much do these things cost!

never heard of such a contraption!!! :cry:

im not gunna get one but this seems to be a pretty cool device, is it legal in the ama rulebook?

Anyone have any input on which one holds up better? I have a friend who has the revlock and accoridng to him it is alot better then the rekluse, but he has the revlock.. So I have to take it with a grain of salt. Appreciate good and bad input on both. Thanks... :cry: :cry:

Our KTM 520Exc has a REVLOC and our YZ250f has the Z-Start.

I like the Z-Start better, but the REVLOC may be tougher.

Either unit will fry your clutch plates if not used wisely.

You can go up hill climbs in 3d that you should do in first, and they will both slip the clutch the whole time at the expense of the clutch plates. They will wear out in a hurry if abused as described, but it is certainly not the clutches fault.

The YZ250f with the Z-Start is just plain fun!

RH