dead engine starts ?

• Experts

Anybody know any secrets to geting a hole shot on a thumper?The 2 strokes can kick and take off all in one motion,4 strokes,you need to make sure its runing before you gas it or you will starting with the next row.

Quiet muffler !

HEHEHEHE,

Dwight

mabee I should be more specific and say some of the things Ive heard and see if anybody uses them.My KTM has Estart but the starter is slow so I use the button & kick at the same time,some times it starts right up sometimes I will gas it to kwik & flood it.I've heard of killing the motor in gear with the clutch pulled in and keep it pulled in until your row goes.I was wondering if it would help if you got the piston just past TDC then it would have a complete revolution bfore compression to get spining.At my last race my buddy got a bike and half jump into the first turn.He says he has a drill bfore the start but he wont reveal his secret.I need to just spend some time practicing starts.

At my last race my buddy got a bike and half jump into the first turn.He says he has a drill bfore the start but he wont reveal his secret.I need to just spend some time practicing starts.

I should practice more also.

Only a few races I've been to designate DE starts, and I don't think you can overcome the 2-stroke advantage, but here's my "drill:"

The warmer the oil on the clutch is, the easier it will spin over in gear IMO. So I slip the clutch a little beforehand to help get things up to temp while I warm up the motor also. Then I kill it in gear w/ the clutch pulled.

Before my CRF I had two 426s, so it was natural to get the motor just before TDC/Compression on my CRF also. It nearly always stops there when you kill it anyway, but I give the kicker a nudge for piece of mind, that way I know it is set up perfectly for a one-kick start.

Then I say a little prayer...

I've never actually done a DE start on a 2-stroke, but I was practicing on my KX5 recently and there is just no way you can light and go that quickly on a thumper. Experienced riders on 2-strokes will have an advanatage on a DE start IMO.

Also, fast guys that I know on e-start KTMs use the kicker (only) for DE starts...

It's been awhile but when I was racing Dist. 37 all starts were dead engine. Make sure the bike is warmed up and cleaned out,(2 stroke),make sure your clutch is adjusted properly,(full disengagement), get engine just past TDC and have a powerfull leg. If it does'nt work then get your A$$ in gear and start passing other riders!!. ?