Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R

I just became a thumper convert by buying a CRF250R, and I would like to know what the drill is for starting 4 strokes consistently. Any suggestions?

when cold-choke it. blip the throttle 2 times. kick it. be sure not to give it gas. if you give it gas, it can cause you to become exhausted from kicking.

when hot-don't give it any gas. hold down the hot start and kick. did i say don't give it gas.

if you fall and it lays on its side-try the hot start procedure first. if that doesn't do it. turn the gas off. open the throttle very slowly to wide open. kick it a couple of times. opening the throttle very slowly will not insert gas but allow air in to disapate gas. now remove your hand from the throttle so not to give it gas. hold the hotstart lever. kick. wah-lah .. it should be running again.

hope this helps. it works for me and i was a long time 2stroker and had horrible time cranking 4stroke initially.

Don't try to "over kick" it either. Especially when its hot. You can kick it too hard! With it hot, use the hot start without the gas and a nice soft kick will do the trick! 😢

I just turn the gas on let it sit for maybe 15 seconds then it kicks first time every time. When hot just use the hotstart and same first kick deal. Most important thing to remember coming off the 2 stroker is not to give it gas while trying to kick it.