Sign in to follow this  

forks on XR250

I am only 5'6" and 120 pounds, and the forks are bottoming out harshly on landings on my XR. I adjusted the clickers all the way to the right on the bottom of the forks, and I didn't notice any difference whatsoever. The back shock soaks everything up perfectly. Is there something else I should do to go along with adjusting the clickers or is the XR250's front suspension really that soft?????

XR's and KDX's have always come pretty unbalanced. They are ultra-soft in the front, and more stiff in the rear. I never could figure out why they come this way. Here's what I would do from cheap to expensive: Add oil to the fork, up to the manafacturers recomended maximum. If you still have a bottoming problem, try stiffer springs and/or a heavier oil. Beyond that you may be looking at a re-valve. :cry:

BigI has given excellent advice but I question why at 120lbs it is acting as you say. The stiff oem rear spring should practically be bucking you off and the front should be quite adequate for your weight. I'm guessing you're either doing huge jumps or your forks are low, or light in weight, on oil.

:cry:

I am landing on top of a tabletop landing of a 45 foot jump that I made with our loader tractor.The tabletop part is about 20 feet, and there is a gap of about 25 feet. I am almost clearing it, but not quite, and the forks are clunking. wouldn't adding more oil make the fork seals more prone to blowing??

Coming up a little short on a tabletop can be an abrupt landing.

More oil creates more air-pressure inside the forks. Believe it or not, this can actually help them seal better. If you look at the back side of a fork seal, you'll see that it's designed to press harder on the fork tube as internal pressure goes up. :cry:

ok thanks a lot bigIvyI. That really surprises me that more pressure makes the seals seal better. I will try adding more oil. If that doesn't work, I will get thicker oil.