Sign in to follow this  

Handle bar protection?

As I now have bent bars as well as a broken clutch handle I am planning on buying new bars as well as handle guards. I am thinking of 7/8" bars w/handle guards that attach most strongly. I would like to do the install myself and am not up to any major modifications.

Can anybody reccomend which bar(I like the Renthals) would clamp in and which handguards/mounting system. Also-which bend?? Should I buy some slightly higher that stock-I am about 6 feet tall.

I know some of this is personal preference but I don't know what to prefer :cry: and I need new bars/protection.

Thanks!

At 6' , you will probable want some taller bars,, something like the CR Hi bend would do nicely.

For hand guards,,,, I like and use the Cycra's But the Moose, seem to be a strong unit also.. There are lots of others out there, pick one with a metal bar, and get something you like.

Ones I did not have good luck with include the ProRallys from Acerbis.. 5 sets, 2 different bikes,, and very easily bent... Others have had better luck from them,, so to each his own.

I recommend the Moose ones. Cyra uses a 2 piece mounting linkage for the end of the guard that clamps onto your handle bar. Both of my friends have have broken the smaller piece of that linkage. I've had to machine new ones out of steel for them.

Moose only uses a 1 piece clamp.

I'm 6' and have the Renthal 7/8" with Cycra Pro-bend bar mounts.

The bars are short for me. I'll likily get risers sooner or later. I had the Acerbis Rally Pro and bent the crap out of them (I fall often). The metal loops eventually broke off from too much fixing.

The Cycra Pro bends have held up well. Most people like the triple clamp mounts. Mine have taken some good whacks and the only result was some spinning of the guards.

TAG

Moose

Have the setup above and it works great. You can't go wrong with any of the items that have been talked about. Good luck with your choice. :cry: :cry:

I recommend the Moose ones. Cyra uses a 2 piece mounting linkage for the end of the guard that clamps onto your handle bar. Both of my friends have have broken the smaller piece of that linkage. I've had to machine new ones out of steel for them.

Moose only uses a 1 piece clamp.

Thats why many use the triple clamp mount design, and not the bar clamp type.. It also frees up bar space for other items, and IMHO is a clearner look all around :cry: