Sign in to follow this  

Trivia - The Double Mystery

I have been looking at this picture for over a week trying to figure out how to use this as a trivia question. The problem is I know what kind of bike it is but I am only 60% sure on the rider. So I am throwing this one out to see if any historians can come up with both. I will tell you I had to touch up the tank by spraying over the brand name. Can you name the brand of bike, what country it was manufactured in and the rider? We may have to have some discussions on the riders identity. This was taken in '78. Good Luck!!

Mysterytouched.jpg

Since you've been handing me my lunch on this trivia thing; Hmmmmm.

Husky would be the obvious answer, but the frame is not shaped like what would have been on a CR250 or 390. The motor looks like a late Ossa, but the polished cooling fins negate that. The frame looks like KTM, but their works bikes ran more rounded plastic tanks then. And neither of them would have run a Fox shock.

I can't quite decide if that's a Ceriani or Marzocchi fork set, either; which would have been on a Euro-bike.

Since you've been handing me my lunch on this trivia thing; Hmmmmm.

Husky would be the obvious answer, but the frame is not shaped like what would have been on a CR250 or 390. The motor looks like a late Ossa, but the polished cooling fins negate that. The frame looks like KTM, but their works bikes ran more rounded plastic tanks then. And neither of them would have run a Fox shock.

I can't quite decide if that's a Ceriani or Marzocchi fork set, either; which would have been on a Euro-bike.

It is not a Husky, and the denotation is "250CR".

"CR250" belongs to Honda.

I dunno what the thing is...never saw one. :cry:

Nice job!! :cry: :cry:

It is not a Husky, and the denotation is "250CR".

"CR250" belongs to Honda.

I'm old and damned near bald...split your own hair. :cry:

We called 'em CR250s back before Honda had one.

Niether, they are Fox forks. :cry:

Pat Ricter(sp) on a KTM with the FOX suspension?? I know he was one of the first FOX riders. I had the FOX Air Shox on my '77 Maico AW400. What a pain in the ass they were to adjust! Like your tires, the air pressure would build from the heat as you rode your moto making them get stiffer. You had so much air pressure in such a tiny space, even with the special air gauges you had to use you could loose ALL your pressure in a nano second when trying to adjust! :cry:

But, Hey! They were "Trick"! :cry:

Niether, they are Fox forks. :cry:

You sure those aren't Simons forks?

The Simons set that I have - the legs have no taper.

Very over-rated, too. I had them on my XR200 woods racer for a while. Yeesh.

OK, here's my final answer...

That's a KTM (either a disguised MC5 or GS5 - the frame and cylinder shape screams KTM). I have no clue who the rider is. Fox rear and works Marzocchi forks.

Okay, when I first looked at it I thought OSSA, then I seemed to remember that, at the time, OSSA's and KTM's were "kissing cousins" and maybe even came out of the same factory (I may be waaay off base here, but I've jettisoned a lot of brain cells since then). Anyway, my answer is OSSA. The rider? I'll go with the "Sugar Bear" too...Billy Grossi.

Well Chief here's your other 40% :cry:

oc08001.jpg

(If you look closely you can see the #23 on the side of his helmet.) Take THAT Cowpoo :cry:

JohnnyO, after all these years it is finally paying off to keep all those old magazines. Too bad there is no money involved. I was invisioning you searching thru every '78 issue until you found the anwswer. :cry::cry:

You did answer pretty quickly too but I decided to wait a while for some other wild a$$ guesses. I was pretty sure it was Grossi all along but I could never find another shot of him to prove it 100%. Here is the un-altered shot.

Mystery.jpg

Good Job :cry:

Excellent question. I think the only reason I got it was from trying to find other answers recently I recall seeing something on that. The fins on the motor are what got me thinking Carabella. This was his last Hurroh. (I think Carabella's too!) :cry:

Looks like a Simmon's fork...can't tell much else for sure.

DOH, I think your right, those are Simons and not Fox forks. :cry: