Sign in to follow this  

Thinkin about this bike need help (DRZ400s)

OK, I recently sold my WR400 due to it not being robust enough. I want/need something that can tackle some good off-road trail ridding and haul me to work down the highway. I know the DRZ-s is designed for this but how does it really do? Is it very capable for both purposes? Oh ya, one more thing. With the WR it required tons of maintanance like real frequent oil changes and stuff. I would assume with the dry sump design this bike would ease the maintanace a bit.

I don't have tons of experience so my opinion may be BS. I purchased my DR-Z in July. It's the first DS bike I've owned but have had both MX and street bikes in the past.

My negative comments about the DR-Z are:

1.Trailwings should really come with a disclaimer.

2.The bikes weight. A little heavy for trails and a just a tad light for the highway (not a suprise really).

The positives:

1.Awesome gas mileage (yes, even with a full Yosh and re-jet)

2.I like the way it handles(I weigh 150lbs however)

3.With MT21's it's much better on the trails.

So, my take is that the DR-Z is a really great machine. It's not a street rocket and it's not an MX'er but does an admirable job at both.

I have ridden my every day since July 9th and don't really have any major complaints. Hope it helps

I have a KLX 400SR (same bike) and love it. I have never had a "real" off road bike, but I have ridden a few. As for the street, it was a little hard to get used to at first, but once I got used to being blown around a bit by larger traffic, it was fine. I also have Dunlop tires on mine instead of the Deathwings. MIne are really too soft for the street, but the only time it sees pavement is from one trail to another. I love it though. Good luck!!!

:cry:

Almost everyone that owns one and actually rides it loves it. 75% of the DRZs you see for sale are all like super low miles. All the others have tons of miles and still give thier owners lots of smiles. :cry:

Its just an awsome fun bike all around. You can be motarded, offroadin, riding MX track whatever and its just tons a fun.

There is lots of bolt on items that can make it better quick and there is no such thing as spending too much money on it. You just want to pour more into it and make it more powerful and faster. You ride it stock and love it... but it just keeps getting better.

On the flip side ya its kinda heavy but you can go as far as you want to shave the weight... I went as far as to totally removed E start on mine to shave that extra 10 lbs or so.

Get rid of the stock tires and get some armor and your good to go.... and with one of the most reliable bikes ever. :cry: :cry:

Get a DRZ :lol: I had a KLR650 before I got mine. It was more stable on the highway but wasn't much fun off road. The DRZ gets blown around a bit, but you get comfortable with it pretty quick. I ride 30 minutes on the hwy each way to work, usually 70 mph. The DRZ is heavy but coming from a KLR it seems like a cloud on wheels to me. Plus it's ALOT better balanced. The only time I notice the weight is when I'm losing it and using brute strength to try and recover. Maintence? :cry: What's that? :lol: Never heard of it, never do it, don't think it's even reccomended in the owner's manuel. :cry: Nah, it's much less frequent than what you're used to. I've had several dirt bikes, 2 and 4 stroke, and the DRZ requires less time than any of the others. There's a reason the DRZ is the best dual sport. :cry: :cry: :cry: Trail riding, it's da bomb :lol: :lol: It does okay on the MX track too :lol:

Going from a xr600 and KX 500 to a drz like i did , Kinda makes you feel the way you felt when you put your shoes back on after wearing roller skates!I thought the DRZ handled like dream and was light and nimble! Stock, the Smodel is very under powered but can be brought to life rather cheaply! The bike rocks man! Get it , do the mods and let it take you to the next level! :cry:

The drz s will feel under powered also but can be made into a monster if you want. Also all 4 strokes require frequent maintenece, changing your oil often is a disputed subject but I feel it needs to be chaged alot! Your motor will thank you.

OK, here's another ? I've been lookin at some web sites with specs on the DRZ's for '00-'02. And from the pics I've seen and what I've read there is not kick start for backup, am I dreaming? Sure the e-start is the bomb that's one thing I always wanted on my WR, but not having the kick as abackup is kinda spooky.

You can add the kick starter to any of the DRZ's.. It is a kit bought from the OEM and can be installed by most users.

The e start is very, very, very,, did I mention it is very reliable? If you are paranoid, or feel the need for the extra security, add the kick, some do, many do not,,, most never need to use it.

More then two years on my DRZ now, many hours on the road, and on the trail,,, lots of mods, including some which tax the starter more then 99% of any other DRZ owners, and still it starts every time.

Oh,, and if your looking at a S, 2001 or earlier,, it will have different suspension then an E or later (2002 and on) S

EDIT: fat fingered the dates..thanks drjack :cry:

The "S" model, with re-jet and exhaust, should make reasonably comparable power to your WR400. The suspension will be softer/plusher. Get an '02 or later "S" as they have the fully adjustable "E" suspension. If you ride rocks, roots and tight trails, the stock suspension is not too bad and of course can be revalved. Maintenance should be less - the DRZ holds 2 quarts of oil, the WR probably held not much more than 1 quart?

For me owning a DRZ entails changing oil every 2nd long and tough off road session, cleaning the Twin Air filter and going riding! The thing has been stone reliable. I check the valves from time to time (easy to do) and after the initial bed in, they have held solid to date. I have about 2,500 miles to date, pretty much all of them off road. :cry:

Oh,, and if your looking at a S, 2002 or earlier,, it will have different suspension then an E or later (2003 and on) S

It's the 2001 and earlier S model that has different suspension from the E model. Get a 2002 or later S, or E and put on a dualsport kit.

Oh,, and if your looking at a S, 2002 or earlier,, it will have different suspension then an E or later (2003 and on) S

It's the 2001 and earlier S model that has different suspension from the E model. Get a 2002 or later S, or E and put on a dualsport kit.

yup :cry: thanks for the catch :cry:

DS kit is not an option for a lot of folks,, but a good one if it is :cry:

Well here's the thing, I'm only going to have about 3500$ to spend total and that's including the tax. I want the S model b/c I plan on ridding it too work and that's 15 miles down a very busy highway, or side streets. Anyhow, it sounds like I'm going to want the '02 so I can get the better suspension. Do you guys think I can land a '02 for around 3300$, mind you I'm going to wait till Feb next yr to even pick one up. Another question, if I can only find the E model is it going to ok to run up and down the highway on? I'm assuming it won't have the speedometer like the S, but what else will it be short on?

There are no differences in the E that would keep it from doing street duty,,, yes it will need a speedo of some sort, and of course lights and such.

$3300 :cry: :cry: :cry: You might just find one at that price,, cash on hand,,,, motivated seller and all that..

Do a search in the Bikes For Sale section.. over the last year, using DRZ in the search words box.. There are some current sales now,, and a bunch you can look at to get an idea of what is being sold, and for how much.

Also go on ebay,, do an advanced search, use drz & 400 as search words.. Select both current and completed auctions...

Well here's the thing, I'm only going to have about 3500$ to spend total and that's including the tax. I want the S model b/c I plan on ridding it too work and that's 15 miles down a very busy highway, or side streets. Anyhow, it sounds like I'm going to want the '02 so I can get the better suspension. Do you guys think I can land a '02 for around 3300$, mind you I'm going to wait till Feb next yr to even pick one up. Another question, if I can only find the E model is it going to ok to run up and down the highway on? I'm assuming it won't have the speedometer like the S, but what else will it be short on?

Buy twoblackbelt's bike!!! He could use the money to finance his Olympic dream.

From all I've read about the suspension and model years, I'd opt for at least an '02. I searched for months, and knew exactly what I wanted. Trouble was, I'd have to drive hundreds of miles to get one. I finally bought a brand-new one (DRZ-400S) for 5,300 taxes and all. As for the "E", you would need to buy a street kit and I think they are about 500+. There lights, horn, tires, signals, blah blah, blah. :cry: Several companies offer the complete conversion kit but if you're from CA, I hear people there have had trouble getting plates (I'm in Virginia so unsure of the real deal there). Baja has one for example- check out http://www.performancehondanc.com/dlrindexsend_pg_catprod_levelcode_10100_catalogcode_754_partheadernumber_109305-BAJA+DESIGNS+DUAL+SPORT+KITS.htm. Good luck!

OK, I recently sold my WR400 due to it not being robust enough. I want/need something that can tackle some good off-road trail ridding and haul me to work down the highway. I know the DRZ-s is designed for this but how does it really do? Is it very capable for both purposes? Oh ya, one more thing. With the WR it required tons of maintanance like real frequent oil changes and stuff. I would assume with the dry sump design this bike would ease the maintanace a bit.

I sold my Harley, paid off my 4Runner, and bought a brand-spanking :cry: new DRZ-400S. :cry: I have NO regrets! My HD Lowrider got maybe 42 mpg average (not stock) and my DRZ got 62 MPG once. Usually it more like 58 MPG but I'm still breaking her in. Worst I ever got was high-40s. It's a rocket stock as far as I'm concerned, and I haven't made any engine mods. So far, I've only tuned the suspension w/ the help of Burned and others here.

Maintenance consists of cleaning it. I had mine in foot-deep mud when it only had 3 miles on it! :cry: I couldn't stand waiting for the recommended 100 mile breakin period. (I was gentle with her though).

The one downer is the height (I'm short) and the weight. I totally recommend it though. GREAT bike. Best DS as far as I'm concerned!!

There are no differences in the E that would keep it from doing street duty,,, yes it will need a speedo of some sort, and of course lights and such.

Wrfrk, true story above

If you are really serious about the S Model lets go riding again and I can show you what a difference new sprockets and tires will make compared to the way it was when we went riding when I first got it and was stock. I would be willing to let you ride it up a few hills. Hey I need a riding buddy that has a similar capable bike :cry:

I personally think you are making a mistake getting the S model since you live in Idaho. Id go for the E Model. All you get out of the S model is that you can ride it on the road off the showroom floor. The E model takes very little modifications to ride on the road in Idaho. Its a tad lighter and has a few more horsepower. You dont need all the crap that comes with the S. Don't get me wrong I find the S model to be very capable and Im happy with what it does but its a heavy [@#$%&*!]. You will know what IM talking about when you dont make it up a hill or are going up steep switchbacks. The E is not much better, 20 or 30 pounds less ??

If you get the S you will probably get rid of the tires (death wings) and get sprokets more in line with the E-model (dirt)14/47? plus you were saying something earlier about wanting the plastic tank as you dont like the metal tank. Just my opinion but I dont think you will be happy leaving it stock and by the time you are done with modifications, you will be more in line with the E model to begin with. :cry: And FYI, after making mine more dirt wirthy, I still cruize down the freeway at 65 to 70 no prob. Yea I will go through tires quicker but I like it this way :cry: