Sign in to follow this  

add oil or stiffer springs???

What are the different effects of adding more oil vs. stiffer springs? I weigh 245 and have .49's with 400 cc's of oil. I think I need it a bit stiffer early in the stroke. Would I add oil or go to bigger springs? And will bigger springs sacrifice any of the plushness?

A stiffer spring than what you need will only increase feedback on smaller bumps. With you sitting on the bike in full riding gear, have someone make a mark on the chrome slider with say, a marker. Put the bike on the stand now and measure how far form that mark to the outer tube is. You should see about 2.5" to 3". This is semi equivalent to sag on the rear. If you are in that range you are probably good to go on your current spring rate.

Being your weight, you NEED more low speed compression damping to "hold up" the front end in the small to medium stuff. Adding oil ONLY affects the last 4" or so of travel. You can increase your compression damping with the top clicker by turning it IN more. However, more than about 6 clicks or less from full closed makes a harsh fork action in my opinion.

A stiffer spring will only slighty make a difference, it sounds like you need a revalve! That valve stack is designed for about a 185lb rider. Big guys like us need more compression damping, plain and simple. ESPECIALLY if you ride sandy whooped out or deep rolling bump type tracks. This is the realm of low speed damping (has nothing to do with actual ground speed). Low speed damping is what fights compression on rolling bumps and SX style take offs and landings. Small sharp edged bumps are high speed damping.

I kind of got off on a tangent, but like I said, you really need a revalve to add more low speed damping using the valve stacks inside the fork. Everything else is just a bandaid until you do that. :cry:

P.S.- I was at 245lbs a while back and I was using a .50 spring up front, 410cc of oil, and a revalve that was "5-6 steps stiffer" than stock to handle my weight and speed. Compression about 8 out, rebound about 10 out.

Rear was a 5.9 spring, a revalve of the same caliber, with compression from 8-10 out and rebound about 7 out.

I only weigh 195lbs now and have gone to a .48 front and 5.7 rear. Same valving. That might change once I get back to riding...if all of this is too much you can PM me and I can tell you via a phone call, alot better than I can type and explain. :cry:

I allready had it revalved/reshimmed for my weight and ability (6 steps up from stock whatever that means). At this point I think it's a matter of getting the right oil level and making sure I have the proper springs and figuring where to set the clickers

Therapture, check your PM.

Rapture, Did you do your revalve? If so how did you learn it. I want to find something about this and play around.