Sign in to follow this  

Rode The XR400 To Work Today...

Yep! Said, "What the hell!" Rode it from Diamond Bar to Pomona(15 miles) taking the 60 Fwy. I don't recommend this on a regular basis, but if it's Dual Sported, why not? Stock 15/45 gearing, but it doesn't stop as well as my streetbike though. I don't think I'll be riding it to work anymore. Just thought I'd share an XR Moment. :cry:

Atta boy, way to represent the Dualsport community.

I bet you thought I was gonna say sumpin' smartazz didn't ya? :cry:

How fast were you cruising on the freeway? Or was it weaving through traffic? I rode my bike on the freeway once. Not again! It was pretty hairy with the wind and headshake.

If you have a slightly bent wheel it really amplifies it thru the rest of the bike. I only got up to 70, as I didn't want to draw too much attention to myself. Top speed will be posted on the way home.

There are only two problems with riding an XR400 on the street.

1) That gearing is only good for 75 mph, which is 10 mph too slow for the slow lane.

2) It's tough on knobbies.

I use to ride out to our local riding area. 35 miles each way. I like my XR400 on the twisties more than my 750.

I hope you had fun! :cry:

The Trail Tech said I was doing the occasional 80, but I don't know... I stayed out of the fast lane, and cruised in the #3 of 4. It's only 13 miles, but I wouldn't want to do it everyday. I got home after dark, and checked out the rear on my Maxxis IT to see what kind of wear it was showing. That tire was pretty warm. Oh well, you only live once. Trick Dual Sport Kit worked like a charm! :cry:

Stock 15/45 gearing is hideous for dual sport use, unless you never go more than 60km/h (35mph). Even when you mount up a 16/40 combo, the 400 gearing is still slower than a stock geared XR650R (nevermind the L!).

I ride mine on the highway, up to 70, it's screaming at that speed but it works

Yeah, ok, sure it "works" for some definition of the word. But if you want to dual sport without getting buzzed numb hands, high oil temperatures, accelearated engine wear, poor fuel economy and a generally less relaxed ride, then steeper gearing is the ticket. All depends on what you do and where you ride I guess. I like the tall gearing. (16/40) You aren't shifting as often either. Last fall when the leaves are down, the temperatures (and hence speeds) are also down, and the swamps are filled up again I went back to 16/45 for a bit. But I don't have a lot of use for stock 15/45. That is just me. If it wasn't road legal and I was riding goat trails all the time, then things would be different I guess. :cry:

In Australia the XR400 comes standard road registed with number plate.

I ride my XR to work and back every day on the highway. I reckon it goes fine!

Ive also done 4 trips to Perth and back, which is about 450kms, 280miles each way. Sitting on about 115kmph to 135kmph, 70mph to 85mph all the way for about 5 hours! But with about 5 fuel stops! I need a long range fuel tank!

Sitting on 110kmph 69miles (top speed limit) it overtakes fine and Powers away! but it strugglels a bit after 125kmph 78mph.

Ive also got Street tyres on, not nobley's, because of so many kays on the road. origonaly I did have nobleys but the front tyre only lasted about 1000 kays 625 miles, becauase of hard braking on bitumen, it just tore the back of the nobs, I now run Pirelli S/T Scorpion street tyres, Amazingly ive gotten about 19,000kays 11,875 miles out of my front tyre! and still havnt changed it! The back bridgstone lasts only a slight fraction of that!

The idea of this "ride to work" was a test for myself and the bike. I just said &%$#@!, and rode it instead of the streetbike. Why not? It's plated, and I only am riding 12 miles, but the Fwy part and the tires I have on there made me second guess myself. Glad I did it, but wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Pulls enough speed to keep up and pass slower cars(yes, there are some in California), rear view mirror(Acerbis) is useless(only because it's required to be dual sported, asnd the fact that my Flanders solid mount broke last time out in the dirt) and had to keep the lane on my left visible by holding it against my thumb...vibrations, and lastly, I got many looks form other bikes. A few waves as well(something you do here when you're on a streetbike, everyone gives a wave!).

Yeah, ok, sure it "works" for some definition of the word. But if you want to dual sport without getting buzzed numb hands, high oil temperatures, accelearated engine wear, poor fuel economy and a generally less relaxed ride, then steeper gearing is the ticket.

I get hand buzz from my streetbike too, doesnt bother me

the 400 gearing is about like my jeep, the jeep does 4100 rpm down the highway

I know the engine will wear faster racing threw the woods than it will going down the highway

In Australia the XR400 comes standard road registed with number plate.

I ride my XR to work and back every day on the highway. I reckon it goes fine!

The Oz XR400 also comes with a 40 tooth rear sprocket, where over here we get 45. If you had the 45 on there, I don't think you'd want to ride it every day on the highway.

I kept the stock 40 on the rear and swap between 14 and 15 on the front depending on what im doing. :cry:

Yep! Said, "What the hell!" Rode it from Diamond Bar to Pomona(15 miles) taking the 60 Fwy. I don't recommend this on a regular basis, but if it's Dual Sported, why not? Stock 15/45 gearing, but it doesn't stop as well as my streetbike though. I don't think I'll be riding it to work anymore. Just thought I'd share an XR Moment. :cry:

Did you try the ice-plant on the sides of the FWY?