Sign in to follow this  

A Hard Way To Learn!

:cry: My son, 'dirtrooster' just stepped up to a YZ250FS from a YZ80. The first advice I got when I left the Yamaha Dealer with the bike was; "tell the rooster to not chop the throttle when jumping with that thing." I told him. I also told him that we weren't racing for trophies or series points for the rest of the season; just practice and learning how that big puppy handles. I tried to explain that the 250 4 stroke was a whole defferent riding experiance than his old 80 2 stroke and he should just take it easy for awhile.

His first race on the new bike was a mud bath...one of those rainy days where the track was just a sticky gob, and the low sides of the turns were lakes. Dirtrooster looked good out there, and wasn't pushing it too hard. But he washed out in a sharp corner and got his foot caught between the bike frame and the ground, which tore an inside thigh muscle when the bike went down. Ice packs and staying active on the leg worked wonders and, the next thing I knew, I saw him out in the staging area riding around on someone's 50cc.

I was hoping that little oops would wake the rooster up and he'd find a little more respect for the 250F. However, a week ago today, he was out at Horn Rapids doing a photo shoot for a magazine article and over shot a table-top. Flat landed, the bike bottomed out and he lost his grip, slammed his head in to the handlebars, shattering the visor on his helmet, and breaking both ankles. One ankle went back together okay, but the other needed a plate to hold it. Plate will be in there for a year. So, Mr. Hotshot is now riding around in a wheelchair, learning how to do wheelies and three sixties. I haven't said, "I told you so", but I'm hoping the time he spends in that wheelchair, healing, will get the message across.

If any of you have suffered through the broken ankle process, and have some healing tips, let us hear about them. And for you out there with broken bones, heal quickly and get back on it! :cry: <font color="black">

Tell your son, check that, DEMAND, that he do his therapy rehab exercises every day when he's given the okay to do so from his doctor. I shattered my right ankle real bad a few years ago while racing MX, and should have done my rehab consistently, but instead figured I'd just be a dumb stubborn Pollock. Yep, you guessed it, I have trouble with it everytime I case a jump or whenever the weather wants to mess with me now. I've even had to basically give up MX, which was everything to me, and switch to Hare Scramble racing since they don't have those ankle destroying jumps like MX does nowadays. It might seem like something insignifigant, but when it comes to walking, nothing is insignifigant about your ankles!!!

"Remember, you can learn alot from a Dumba$$!!!"

Maniac :cry:

:thumbsup:Thanks all for the get wells for the 'dirtrooster' Last up date is; hard cast on one ankle was changed to a soft one. Doc says that ankle is just a little crooked but shouldn't be a problem. Rooster says he'll be back on that bike before that plate on the other ankle comes off. I told him not if I had anything to say about it. He just laughed :cry:

Thanks, Maniac, for the advice on the therapy. I'm sending your message on to the Rooster. Maybe, if he don't want to listen to his dad, and his own bones...he'll listen to another rider that's been there and done that.