Help please, Scotts damper which mount?

I am putting a Scotts damper on my 03 450. Which mount do you people recommend? I see there is a bolt-on, weld-on or a whole new top triple. ?

What is the difference (besides price) what are the "Pros" and "Cons" of each? ?

Many thanks for your comments.

I have the bolt on mount that works real good on a CRF450. On my CR500, I welded on the post. The distance from the frame to the damper is farther on a CR500 so a weld on is better. On the CRF450, it's a shorter reach so the bolt on is fine. The bolt on is realy solid, you'll be suprised. Then you don't have to weld on the pretty alloy frame either ? There is no need for a new top triple clamp, get the bar clamp, the bolt on post and a damper and you'll be set!!

you want the bolt on post...you dont want to be welding to that cast area...I dont even think they make a weld on for the CRF.

Teh top triple clamp is to mount the damper not the pin...

You can go with the stock triple clamp and just put a new set of bar mounts on which is the cheapest route.

Or just go big and do the bars, triple clamp, damper, and post for 599....

Call Scotts and ask them for advice and prices. This, after you look at the pictures online.

When I called them a week ago (Sept 2004) to order some bars and some kind of pad for over the damper, they mentioned they were working on a mount that would go *under* the bars. That way you could use a bar pad, and it would raise the bars some. Scotts said to check back soon... that would be now.

Here are the mounting options I know of:

Damper Locations:

* on top of front fender in front of number plate

* "regular mount" on top of bar clamp, with damper

sort of to the front of the bike

* "reverse mount" on top of bar clamp, with damper

closer to the tank. This way is better if you

plan to run an enduro computer out front

* ... maybe a soon-to-be-released "under bar" mount" ?

Post attachment:

* weld-on (dunno for the CRF450)

* clamp-on

You also need to know:

* brand of triple clamp

If not stock, then the offset of triple clamp

* type of bars (fat vs. regular)

* offset of your existing bar mount perches (the

things underneath the handlebar)

I am amazed that Scotts can actually keep track of all

this, keep it all in stock, and explain it all to me ?

I expect that other companies that make dampers are

just as good and smart; it's only that I've dealt

with Scotts so that's why I wrote so much about them.

+sean

I would go for the bolt-on post. I have the bolt-on post on my crf and it hasn't moved. If you have stock rubber mounted bars you'll need to get scott's rubber cones or file the stockers down. Mine hung up on the frame at full turn.

For the top mount check out BRP. They make all scott's stuff and can set ya up ? Call the TT store to order it they are the cheapest out there on the damper. ?

Directly to your question:

my opinon: go with the simplest, cheapest solution:

* bar clamp (plus perches) for your existing triple clamp

You don't want to use stock Honda perches, there's

not enough clearance from the post clamp to the

underside of the perches.

* If you want to move to fat bars, now is the time, don't

wait

* regular mount (unless you race enduros - then go reverse)

* clamp-on post

that's only my opinion. Everyone is welcome to his/her own.

+sean

Get the low mount (mounts on a bracket just above the fender) it will require a bracket welded to the head tube. Nothing to it. It is out of your face should you come up short. It is protected even if your bike is cartwheeling. You can run what ever bars, clamp, computers etc. It is a great and sturdy system, much better than a bolt on or weld on tower. ?

The fender mount is tapped into your frame on the CRF's. I have one on my '03 and had one on my 426---second to none, in my opinion. Scotts provides a drill and tap with this particular kit. I've had the bar mount, which my chin didn't like, and now the fender mount, which is out of the way and works just as well. If you aren't in a rush, wait for the "below-cross bar mount." Along with good directions for the install, you won't want to ride/race without it once you get it.

ive crashed with the best of them and the only thing that ever hits the damper is my chest protector...I dont understand how people are getting their face on that...

if you are racing desert or doing enduros, hare and hounds, etc...you need to adjsut it on the fly...the fender mount is non adjustable on the fly.

I'll tell you how I managed to do it . . . I came up short on a double and although I did my best to brace myself for the landing, upon impact my face slammed down on my handle bars and my chin caught the pointed dial of my Scots damper. I ended up with 35 stitches in my chin / I know that if I would have had a bar pad instead of my damper I would have been fine (I managed to stay on my bike and was able to ride myself off of the track) The dampers work great but in my opinion, should be mounted off or under your bars.

if you are racing desert or doing enduros, hare and hounds, etc...you need to adjsut it on the fly...the fender mount is non adjustable on the fly.

I have the low-mount kit, I race desert and never adjust mine on the fly, I think this is a matter of preference but I leave mine pretty stiff and rarely touch it (except to change the oil etc.).

I did adjust it once during a race. Not impossible, but not something I would look forward to trying again...

I made a pad for my scotts bar mount damper. I got a closed cell Army sleeping pad (used $6) and some 3M spray adhesive and a black Protaper pad cover. I glued together 6 layers of the pad. The 1st 4 layers have a center cutout the damper fits into. The top two layers completely cover the damper. After gluing all the layers together I glued the Protaper cover directly to the pad. The cover doesn't cover the sides of the pad, but I found that flat black spray paint makes it look good and doesn't eat the foam pad. I then poked two holes all the way through between layers for zip ties to go thru. I just zip tie it on and its been working great. Get the zip ties with the release lever and its doesn't take very long to get it off and back on.

I even made the back half a bit triangular so it cover the top of the post & pin.

I'd been riding 6 years without any pad on it then got bumped mid air in a MX race and bruised my ribs on the bars or damper on the landing. I even put some of that closed cell foam on the inside of my chest protector as well as making the bar pad out of it.

Why Scotts has never made a pad to cover their damper is beyond me........

BTW, A jetski (X2) bar pad works great as protection, just a rectangular piece of foam covered in vinyl and a velcro strap. Straps on in seconds and you can reach under it if you need to adjust it. I still like the fender mount better than anything. I dont adjust mine at all during riding.

Don't forget you can mount the damper backwards and it will fit under most crossbars. I trim the pad just a bit to help it fit over the damper and make it easier to wedge the pad cover in there.

I prefer the low mount, but they don't make that kit for my KX5 so I run a crossbar and mount the damper underneath it...