Sign in to follow this  

Holy Cow.....check yours!

I've been reading the stories about the steering stem bearings and had just put it on the back burner for winter. However I just went with a new Tag Matrix upper and lower triple clamp set-up, so I'm there now.....Check this out, and I had NO steering problems! :cry:

Old lower bearing -

100_0684.JPG

Old stem -

100_0687.JPG

Lower bearing parts -

100_0689.JPG

And now, the new stuff! :cry:

100_0690.JPG

100_0691.JPG

Holy crap, and you couldn't feel that? Time to check my bearings again.... :cry:

Mike -

where can i get replacement bearings if i take mine apart and find them in the same condition?

You can get them from the ThumperTalk store. :cry:

Just curious there Aspencop, as to where you located the ignition key on those clamps since they are allen head bolts which are recessed into the perches.Does Tag Metals give you an alternative mounting?? or do they leave it up to you?? :cry:

Guys,

Its really easy to do, you don't even have to remove the front end completely. I even leave my front wheel on when grease the bearings! Its a 1x per year thing for me. Unless I get into some serious muddy spooge, then its after every 3 or 4 rides!! :cry:

100_0691.JPG

What's the story with the little dots on the bar clamps? Aren't those supposed to face forward? :cry:

Mine had enough grease but I added more.

You must use a lot of quarters at the car wash or something.

I can't believe mine was that much different.

I got a question though. Do the bikes come to the dealer with the forks off.

Maybe the setup guy put some lubriplate on mine?

Thank you and good Karma coming your way*******

Yea, it was a mess, but it's all better now!

I'm not sure what the dots are for, any body with ideas? There were no instructions with the clamps.... :cry:

I have the key eliminated and just a small hidden toggle switch on the back side of the headlight, so the switch wasn't a problem for me. :cry:

Greg, the stem is sweet and the clamps are beautiful! The bar mounts raise the bars a little, not sure how much.

I did discover two issues with the clamps. First, there is no mount points for triple clamp hand guard mounts. So, I took mine off for now and will rethink what I'll do. Probably just get bar mounts for them. The other thing is that at full steering lock (either side), the back edge of the upper clamp just barely touches my IMS 3.2 tank :cry:. I just put a little extra rubber pad on the rubber straps holding the headlight to the forks, and all is well :cry:. I just thought it odd. I may just see if the tank can move back about 1/8 of an inch when I have it off next time.

:cry:

dots go to the front.

forks are on the bike in the crate.front wheel is not.

i wash my bike at the car washa fter every ride.

Yes, that's apparent.....I do however have an aftermarket tank, so for those who may want to look at these clamps, I offered the info. I trust that it is not an issue on a stock tank.

I always do my new bikes with waterproof Belray. Have taken apart a few years later but still good. My DRZ was dry on the bottom bearing when new, if you haven't done it, ugliness is probably lurking.

never seen it so bad. Mine was great. Even had alittle grease on it :cry: