Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 S or SM

I've been looking at getting a DRZ400 and I was wondering if it would be better to buy the SM and get dirt tires for it, or get the S and turn it into a supermotard. Does anyone know the differences with the suspension and brakes, which one is better. Which conversion would be cheaper/possible?

I'd probably use the bike more as a street bike because I live in a large city and would probably hop curbs and other urban objects. But I'm very curious about dirt riding, and would like to have that option because I have a cottage with lots of dirt roads for riding.

thanks

This is just speculation since none of us has had his/her eyeballs on anything but a picture of the SM...but I would think that based on what comes on the SM...that it might be cheaper to dirt a SM then to SM a S.

The SM has RM suspension, and bigger brakes. The wheels and tires alone will run you over a grand to convert the S.

If I had the dough...the Black SM would be coming home to live in my garage right next to my KLX400SR.

Seems like it would be cheaper to buy the SM right from the factory....

If you change over the S the extra dollars in the old wheels will be sitting in the corner unless you can sell them.

Why bother....

The RM forks are a nice touch. I bet the next year will offer the E package and maybe the RMZ aluminum frame if the SM sells well.

Not as big a tire selection but you should be able to find something.

I was considering going to the SV650 V strom for the same price. The SM would be a interesting option but with that brick seat and light weight I would have to forget any thought of touring or even going 100 miles.

If i was thinking of going Supermoto , and was sitting on the fence trying to decide between "S" or "SM" i would definetly go "SM" .It just makes more sense what you get stock versus what you have to put into the "S" to make it the same.It would cost you way more money. :cry:

Besides you now get inverted forks, new swing arm, to name but a few new features.I'm curiuos to see how many guys when they purchase the "SM" will buy a second set of wheels for off road , and how that bike will feel off road with the new forks and all. :cry:

Or do as I decided last week.

Base used DRZ (great condition) $3700 (I got lucky on an 02)

East Coast wheels $800 (much tricker)

Motomaster Brakes Race setup $425 (got a great deal- they are out there)

All for $5125.

Now use the extra money to really trick out your bike...

FCR, Exhaust, upgraded brake line, upper clamp, and of course the free stuff.

-MW

Brembo radial master $200 (KTM hard parts)

I heard somebody was making 17" dirt tires? Instead of buying the SM and getting the 21" front and 18" rear just buy the SM and get a set of dirt tires.

imho, if ya can, wait for the sm drz, it will be cheaper to get used off road wheels set from others(say ebay)

and always expensive to get used sm wheel set.

for the new sm drz, ya get a USD fork, a NEW bike with some upgrades of parts!!

:cry:

I'm not sure that I would recommend that.

The clearance will be reduced a good amount, and you will drag your cases on a regular basis. Not to mention ruts...The bike will get stuck the first rut you run into.

On the other hand, an MX track with slicks would make for a wild ride, just make sure that it is a hardpack track, and without any really big obstacles, and you should be good.

-MW

I don't remember whether the SM is street legal or not. If so, you can ignore the rest of this...but if you live in California or another state that you can't get a dirt bike street legal, then you should get the S and modify it for SM.