Sign in to follow this  

10guy's engine plans

Let's try this again. Bill followed through and did what he said he would do and overnighted a certified check to me for the full amount I paid him for the engine and shipping it out to me plus the amount it cost to ship it back to him. I plan on making a post of suggestions on how to avoid the problems we had but that is another subject.

Now it is time to get to work. Here is a run down on what is happening:

The cylinder is at MI and has been since monday getting bored and replated into a 436 (he called it a 434 though). I went with the stock compression piston since they had no 13.5 ones in stock and I couldn't wait for it since it was backordered. I was wavering on this anyway and if I find I need/want to I can always order a new piston and rings and replace it later.

I am using the head I bought off e-bay after I remove the valves and inspect them, install new seals, r/d spring kit, and new keepers.

For the bottom end I researched many options and given that I would have to replace the rod, crank pin, crank pin bearing, and pay for the work to be done to split the crank and then reassy with the new parts. It all came to within $50 of buying an entire new crank assy. So that is what I have done. I'm also replacing both crank bearings for good measure.

Other items being replaced are:

Cam chain

Cam chain guide (it got chewed up a bit upon destruction)

MCCT - the old one is perfectly good I'm sure but Rui(machinist@bellnet.ca) offered to replace it for my peace of mind. THAT IS WHAT I CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE :cry:

There are also an assortment of other non-related parts going on at the same time.

I would like to thank burned and bronco for their support and input during this stressful time for me. Both have gone above and beyond the call of duty to keep me going and not get totally discouraged. burned in particular has saved me a couple of hundred dollars by letting me know just what I need so I wouldn't order anything I didn't really need. This is not going to be an "on the cheap" rebuild though, it will be done right and to the best of my abilities. Which brings up the second person, bronco. While I'm sure I could do it all by myself it is more fun to work with someone else, especially if they know which end of the wrench to use. There are also times it is really nice to have a second set of hands and eyes.

If there is interest I will continue this thread as an engine only one complete with pics of everything.

Hope to see you back up and running again soon Daren.. :cry: :cry:...after all you have been through, and the money your having to spend...i wish you happy trails again soon. :cry:

Thanks Rui :cry:, with a little help from my friends I'll be running in two weeks and racing in four :cry:

htman - here is a link to the "factory fishtank" story.

Good luck! I'm interested to see how it goes and more of how much it will total out to be. I have a friend in a similar predicament. :cry:

Thanks Rui :cry:, with a little help from my friends I'll be running in two weeks and racing in four :lol:

htman - here is a link to the "factory fishtank" story.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Guess I've got plans for the next few weeks :lol:

10Guy, bring over the Twist-O-Motor tomorrow night. I want ta see about building a case tool :lol:

Good luck with the build.

Any chance on taking lots of pics of the project?

Tons of pics will be taken, probably just make a folder on photobucket for public viewing unless people want them posted here.

I will also have a complete parts list and cost available. I plan on doing a few other things at the same time that are above and beyond just fixing it. :cry:

Got fedex delivery notice this afternoon. The ron ayers order will be here next friday, but I'm not sure when the cylinder will be back. It should be either the same day or monday, I think I'll call them monday and see what they say.

bronco, just what the wives want to see. Me dragging my engine over :cry:. I will do that because we may end up needing to make a case splitter, or else we could just use a couple of screwdrivers and hammer them in on opposite sides of the case til it pops off :cry:

I plan on doing a few other things at the same time that are above and beyond just fixing it. :cry:

Oh yea :cry: Inquiring minds want to know! :cry:

Tons of pics will be taken, probably just make a folder on photobucket for public viewing unless people want them posted here.

Post them here, please :cry:

Can't wait to see how it all comes together. Good luck with it all. We're all waiting to see when you'll be bustin berms again.

I plan on doing a few other things at the same time that are above and beyond just fixing it. :cry:

Oh yea :cry: Inquiring minds want to know! :cry:

r/d spring kit (ti tops) so I can run.....

yosh 11k cdi

revlok z clutch

considering replacing the clutch basket, plates and springs now as well :cry:

My bike is less than a year old and by the time I'm done I will have as many original parts on the shelf as I do on the bike :lol: Just before it blew up I had ordered $1500 in upgrade parts for it. Good thing I have a really cool wife :cry: