Sign in to follow this  

Crack my airbox today

I was riding at LACR today and crashed on a double there that pitched me wrong. When I fell Im guessing my leg was caught under the ride side (I tweaked my leg a little) and ended up putting a crack along the side of the airbox. With this be fine to ride with if I epoxy it from the inside beacuse I really do not want to fork out the money for a new one or one on ebay if I dont have to? Im thinking of epoxing it from the inside then covering the outside with some if needed or some griptape. What do you guys think? Thanks

If I crack my plastics when im out for the weekend I drill holes on both sides of the crack then stitch it up with tiny zip ties. Doesnt look the best but holds way better then glue. Just my 2 cents.

I broke two airboxes on my YZF when I had it. They must be susceptible, because I have never broken one on my 125. One time I lowsided on a fairly high speed slippery corner and I think the same thing happened, my leg was between the ground and my bike and broke the airbox. Mine cracked right where my leg rubbed, so I replaced it. When this happened it also popped the inner part of the filter clamping ring out (the piece with the female thread for the airfilter) and I unknowingly rode back with my airfilter bouncing around in the airbox. Thank god it was a wet day so not much dust was sucked.

So Im guessing its trashed and I need a new one unless someone else knows of a better way to fix it? Thanks

LACR, What city do you live in? Im in lancaster. I want to go out there sometime, BTW how much is it, CRC Sticker and everything.?

If your talking about the airbox and not the boot, then squirt some super glue inside of the crack and it should be good to go.

Or you could just have it plastic welded...

Or RTV might work - just depends on where the crack is

I ended up using some AV-LOC which is a abs or acs plastic repairer. Its almost like liquid tar that is thinner. Anyways its working fine. Lunchbox I live in Thousand Oaks and LACR is usually $20 but I only ride there when it is rented out by my freinds. I dont think you need any memberships to ride there though. Check it out some time it is a very fun track.

You might also take a very small bit and drill a hole at each end of the crack so the crack doesn't continue. Fill the holes with your crack sealer or JB Weld.