Sign in to follow this  

hare scrambles

what's the key point to riding a hare scramble? How long do they usually last? i am new to racing off road and might think of trying it next summer. Any tips? i already went to see the trails ( just a ride)on a kx 80, i could handle them on that but the wr is a little bit bigger, any tips for running in rutted areas where it's a very tight fit?

H/S is like an off road terrain MX. First guy in wins. Each class is off in waves , 1 minute apart. Track is usually about 10 miles long and you will go about 5 laps for 50 miles or 2 hours.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Dwight, are you coming to our Oct 17th Hare Scrambles?

If so, please look me up.

Frank

Sorry, I am prepping a Hodaka Combat Wombat 125 for the ISDT reunion ride the following weekend. I am racing this weekend in the rain , in Wiggins, MS.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Another n00b question:

I am also thinking about trying H/S next season, but I doubt me and my bike could last that long without fluid replenishing. In the 2hour, ~50 mile H/S races, can you take pit stops for fuel, water, ect? :cry:

Another n00b question:

I am also thinking about trying H/S next season, but I doubt me and my bike could last that long without fluid replenishing. In the 2hour, ~50 mile H/S races, can you take pit stops for fuel, water, ect? :cry:

Sure, of course. I stopped last weekend on a 54 mile race about 3 laps in to take on 1 gallon of fuel.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Also for water a camelback or other drink system can be worn on your back so you can drink while riding. I like the camelback moto models (charge and rev) that are low profile and fit under the chest protector. Very comfortable and carry 3 or 2 liters. :cry:

how are the differnt classes chosen, by bikes? Ive been riding for 2 years now and i can do just about any trail (mabey a little slow on the technical stuff) but how do you know when your "ready" to take on a H/S? thanks

you're ready for a harescramble just as soon as you swing a leg over the seat. :cry:

FTR does classes by cc's and age. Try c class, or if they have it beginners.

you're ready for a harescramble just as soon as you swing a leg over the seat. :cry:

FTR does classes by cc's and age. Try c class, or if they have it beginners.

Go for it. I race the occasional h/s just for fun. A drink system is definitely the way to go. My 70oz. Camelback is just about perfect, I typically finish it on the last lap by constantly taking little sips throughout the race. Class wise, they are broken down by engine size and type (2 vs. 4 stroke) plus age groups and even skill level (Pro or AA, A, B, and C for the bigger series) plus most have a true beginner class. The local series here call the beginner class either the Woodsman class or the Novice class, but it may be different in your area. As for gas, it really depends on your speed and riding style. I am slow, so I can make a full 2 hour race w/o having to re-fill my 96 RM250, although I think I have a non-stock tank. I bought it used so I'm not sure, but it will hold about 2.7-2.8 gallons of gas.

• Like 1

I just raced my first race of any kind yesterday.I entered a gncc race in ohio.Pretty much the same deal as a hare scramble.You can enter classes by ability a,b,c a being the fastest or by age vet,45+,school boy ect.ect. or you can enter a certain bike class.I have to say it was a blast,but i haven't worked out in a long time or ridden much at all this year.I was exhausted after the first lap.So being in shape will be a huge plus!A camel pack is a must in my book.The race lasted 2 hrs and the course was 11 miles long.

but how do you know when your "ready" to take on a H/S? thanks

I've been riding just a little over a year now and I did 2 Hare Scrambles this summer, they were a blast!

I think I beat an 8 yr old in my first race (ok, ok- I think she had broken down) and managed to pass a couple of adults in the 2nd race. Luckly, I went into it not caring how I placed but wanting to enjoy myself, better my riding and finish safely. Only your ego can stop you from riding in a Hare Scramble once your competent enough to ride for ~1-2 hr straight and handle some windy stuff.

Go for it!

Hey mud_mania121,

I assume you're talking about the scrambles in Chipman Brook. Check out www.atlanticmx.com. There's an offroad message board there where you can ask specific questions about the track. Steve_KTM is one of the race organizers and he's also a forum moderator.

As far as preparing for the race goes, you should be able to get lots of advice here. Just stay in shape and get a drink system. The track is very tight and full of ruts and rocks (lots of mud in the spring too). You'll be exhausted by the end of 2 hours.

Maybe I'll see you there in the spring.

XR_Holdout (now riding a KTM)

It depends on how they break the classes down. Our local harescramble is a 6.5 mile course run for 3 hours and you can choose to tag team it or ironman it. Our Classes are broken down into:

60cc, 80cc, Lightweight (249cc and under), Heavyweight (250 cc & up), Vet Class (combined age over 70), Geritol (combined age over 80), Adult & Child, Jack & Jill, Women's Open, Pro, Quad Utility, Quad Sportsmen.

Harescrambles are about the easiest race to get started on. I did my first one the first year I started riding and I was ssslllloooowwwww. We've done 3 more since then and it gets better each time. My boyfriend & I won the Jack & Jill Class a couple weeks ago - my first trophy ever but I still got roosted by my own kid on his 80!

Next year I'll get roosted by both of my kids cause my 9 yo daughter informed me she wanted to do the race with her bro in the 80 class.

Everyone is out on the track at the same time, each class starts in a certain row and they wait a minute or so between letting each row start. Here we do a dead engine start which adds to the fun. Just don't get behind anyone on your row if it is a dead engine start. Some dork in front of me couldn't get his bike started a year or so ago when we did the race and we were running Heavyweight. I was fired up & he was still kicking so I had to maneuver around him (it was a 4 stroke)! :cry:

yes, i am talking about that hare scramble. I already went up on one of the trail rides ( on my old kx 80) and had some fun, but i don't know how bad that the trail gets beat up after 2 hours. I don't know if i can make it through confidentally through a heavily beat up trail. maybe i should go ask at atlantic mx, thanks.

You'll be in the "C" class that fits your age.

Don't worry about the 230

Sometimes it is better to have a "slower" bike in the "C" class as a real MX bike can tire you out in a 2hr race.

Just get yourself in good enought shape to push fairly hard to 2 hrs and you'll be fine. You can always cut out if you start crashing too much.

Have fun and don't ride over your head

Check your local areas rules, in D36 the C races are only 90 minutes so a stock YZ250F might just make it. If your serious get a clarke or IMS tank, then you don't have to worry about fuel.