Sign in to follow this  

what bike to get?

i currently have a 2000 xr100 and i am outgrowing it. I weight around 130lbs and about 5'5". I ride my dads TTR-250 all the time, but i want my own bike, i may not get this bike until next year, but i just want to start looking. I may grow, so, try to account for that. I have been looking at xr250's, drz 250's, klx300, cfr250x's and a lot of other bikes. What do you think will be a good low maintenance reliable bike overall? also, i wont be racing, i may take it to a track someday, but i will be doing mostly trails.

It all depends on what your budget is? If money is no object get the most advanced bike you can get!Xr 250's are great but you may outgrow it faster than you may think where something like a klx,wr or crfx is something you can continually grow into for quite sometime :cry:

I haven't ridden the others, but the KLX is a great trail bike. You can't beat the setup for traction in tight trails and hills. The stock suspension may even be great for your size and the low seat height a plus when stuck on hills. If you're an expert rider you may want something faster, but I wouldn't know.

:cry:

The TT-R 250 is a great offroad fun bike. My father has one and I ride it frequently when I go to visit. For racing, it's underpowered for my 195lb frame (minus gear) but for trail riding and some techincal offroad, it's a fun reliable bike.

Did I mention the price? My father got his brand new for around $3000.

I just came off a TTR-125 to an XR250. I love my bike any of those listed should suit you. My friend has a 250X, the bike is pretty sweet but I got mine for like half his brand new and I love it.

thanks for all your replys. I dont really have a whole lot of money. My dad says that hondas are overpriced, and they really are. I ride my dads TTR-250 and it is really big, i think i want something a little smaller. thanks again :cry:

i dont think i would get the kdx220 or th2 200 because it is a two stroke, if they are not real high maintenance and loud, then i might consider it.

the kdx 200/220 are great bikes, even for a 2-smoke. I have heard some people mention that the ktm200exc is possibly the best woods bike made! But then again it is a 2-smoke!

Get the best bike you can for the money you have, what is your price range? How tall are you and how much do you weight? :cry:

i am 5'5" and around 130 lbs. Does anybody have anything to say about the KDX200? realiability? easy to maintain? overall fun?

if the ttr-250 is too big for you go for the crf230. Its not too expensive and havent heard bad things about it. :cry:

The kdx does have a little hit to it like any 2 stroke but it's not the hit that an Mx bike has, not even close. The kdx is a purpose built woods bike, very reliable and tough as nails. Parts are easy to get because they have been making them for along time , and there have only been slight changes in the design. I think most parts fit years from 97 to 2002 and i think its the same for the older models as well. Earlier this summer i helped a friend pick up a 1998 kdx220 for $1300! It was beat up and ugly but mechanically it was very nice with low hours, new plastic and some TLC made it look like almost a new bike. The seat hight is low enough for you to! :cry:

The KDX200/220 is the best value for a new bike out there, I think $3,999 or something like that MSRP.

The 200 revs more and the 220 is setup more for torque. I think either of them would be good for someone that is more aggressive than a XR200/CRF230 rider, but not quite upto a full MX 2-stroke yet.

Pretty much any bike will work, you just have to spend more on some to dial them in.

Cheers,

Another vote for the KDX200. It does exactly what you want. It's dead realiable, parts and upgrades galore, easy to start, extremely quiet and tractable. I own a four stroke because I can only have one bike and I wanted it to be street legal. If all I ever did was ride trails and race I would only own 2 strokes.