Sign in to follow this  

Rear wheel ?

I just picked my 05 and went to adjust the chain so I backed off the axle nut and adjusted my adjusting bolts then retightened the axle to 94lbs, now if I snug the adjusting bolts to the blocks the chain tightens as if the axle nut was never tightened. The nut on the axle is not bottoming out that was my first thought. Is this ok? I never had this happen on my 03 or 04.

my freind just tried his 05 CRF250 and its doing the same thing, could it have something to do with the new swingarm?

try this at home with your 05:

1. with you rear axle nut tightened normally, loosen 12mm chain adjuster nut on the chain side or on the brake side. it doesnt matter, but its easier to see what's happening on the chain side.

2. turn 10mm adjuster bolt to the left, or out, as if you were tightening your chain.

3. you will notice that the 10mm bolt keeps turning even though its butted up against the axle block. keep in mind it will be tight and turn with resistance but it will turn and you can visually see your chain getting tighter and tighter. :cry:

4. i have tried a couple of friends 05's and they all do it. mine as well. i have an 05 crf250. brand new, not even used once yet.

5. tried the same experiment on my 04 crf250 and the bolt would not move. in fact it feels like it will snap.

6. in conclusion- it seems honda has changed its swingarm design for 05. MAYBE- there is a problem with the design not allowing enough pinching pressure once the axle is torqued to specs. OR- the wheel collars themselves are a bit short?

any suggestions???

try this on your 05 at home and if you still have your 04, do a back to back test and post your results....

The only way that the rear axle/nut is not clamping the sliders to the swingarm is if, IF, the axle is not threaded enough such that the axle NUT is bottoming out on its threads and not providing the clamping force on the sliders. I'm going to check my '05 tonight..........

Another point to make is: When NEW, all these parts have a wonderfully smooth, clean finish which would explain why your able to move them with the chain adjuster bolt even though the axle is torqued. The '04 (as a used example) has sustainded use/vibration which tends to make all the mating surfaces rougher = more friction. I don't think there is a problem here but I'm happy to verify and say I learned yet another good thing from TT:thumbsup: