Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF450R..making it lighter....

Ok they maybe dumb or pre-mature question...I'm coming of a 04 CRF250 (love it just need more power) to a 05 CRF450...I'm worried that is too heavy....I wouldlike to know how to make it lighter..maybe excel rims ?? lighter silencer..??...any ideas...I know is just 12 pounds more then the crf250 (04) but still...

Drill holes in everything until it's the weight you desire. Then you can fill the holes with foam expander so mud and dirt don't get caught in them :cry: Seriously if you are worrying that an 05 is too heavy then you should get a CRF250 that is 14 pounds lighter and makes 20 less hp :cry:

To the original poster: you can take weight off the 05 with lots of $$$ such as a full exhaust system, but the 450 is always going to feel "way heavier" because of the engine mass and flywheel inertia; if you could take 15 pounds off the 450 somehow, the engine alone would make it feel "heavier" in the air and corners with throttle being applied.

Well said. You'll never get it to feel like a 250 no matter how much weight you take off.

That's right, and the extra power is more than worth the extra weight. Having the boost to clear anything with a blip of the throttle means never having to say you're sorry.

Hate to burst your bubble.... but i'm pretty confident the Excel rims would be HEAVIER.

Things you could lose but aren't gonna save crap (front disk cover, countershaft sprocket cover... but leave the AL case guard by using shorter bolts)

Only thing I would replace to save weight is the exhaust. I actually saved almost 3lbs on my 02!! Not sure how heavy the 05 exhaust is.... haven't received my bros 05 yet.

And as others have said.. you will NEVER get a 450 to feel like a 250. The gyroscopic forces just won't allow this!

Get exhaust, carbon fiber replacement parts, and titanuim and a lot of $$$$$ and you could lose some wieght, but it wont make you got from last to first.

It's going to feel more than 12 pounds compare to a CRF250R.

It doesn't matter what you do to it, it's not going to come close to the light feel of you 250F. :cry:

Just go get a 2stroke if you need a more power and lightness. I havent ridden my 4strokes in a month and not even miss it.

Ok they maybe dumb or pre-mature question...I'm coming of a 04 CRF250 (love it just need more power) to a 05 CRF450...I'm worried that is too heavy....I wouldlike to know how to make it lighter..maybe excel rims ?? lighter silencer..??...any ideas...I know is just 12 pounds more then the crf250 (04) but still...

Setting the suspension up for your body would shed more seconds than losing 5 pounds. Flywheel enertia blah blah blah, but the 250 is just a lighter bike to begin with. Then think if you put the Ti and the exhaust on the 250... That would be even lighter. You'll never catch up to a 250(weight wise)