CRF450 wide ratio tranny.......Uh oh

I finally got around to installing my wide ratio tranny which required splitting the motor into a million pieces. Well here are some pics of it apart but I have one problem. I can't figure out how it goes back together ? . Anyone who knows please let me know.......

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

Just kidding I figured it out and got it all buttoned back up. I had to grind a lot of material off the inside of the right case for the 5th gear to fit since it is so big.

I had the covers powdercoated while it was apart. Once the head is done with the new cam, high comp piston, SS valves, springs, and bored carb, I will have the whole thing back together and then you all better watch out because my 60+hp beast will be terrorizing your local neighborhood [@#$%&*!]-you.gif

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Hey Chrome,

I have a stupid question for you.

Not totally related, but sorta...

Anyhow, I have my oil drain plug somewhat stripped. I can still hold oil with minimal leakage, but as you can imagine, I am afraid to snug it to spec now.

What I want to do is heli-coil or time sert the thing (never done it myself) and looking at the images, it looks like it might not be all that bad is I cycle oil from the top (filler hole) while doing so.

My question is, do you think this would work? having taken a good look at the motor and all.

Mike

Mike having had a couple motors apart myself over the years, I would say your only hope for pure success (without splitting the cases) is to continually flush with (light) oil from the top down while chasing the threads (assuming the tap has large flutes that will allow significant oil and debris to bleed by while tapping), that way you know that even if all of the debris does NOT flow out with the tap in the hole, at least it will all be somwewhat forced to the drain hole so that as soon as you remove the tap all that crap comes out.

If you are going to use ANYTHING other than the oil you run in the bike normally to flush with, then you should remove the clutch completely before you do it, then flush with some of your good oil after you complete the task, and then replace the clutch after the job is complete.

There is still really no way to be absolutely certain if you got ALL of it (the debris) out without splitting the cases, unless you had an expensive video scope to probe around inside the case with after you were done ?.

use grease on the drill and tap.it trap the debris

Not all of it, and it will also leave a little blob of grease inside the engine with trapped debris, then when the engine is warm and the grease melts, the debris flows around inside waiting to grenade something.

Thanks guys.

I assume that the same applies to the tranny side, right. It is my engine oil drain bolt.

I do NOT know what Honda was thinking on this, as I have never even torqued the the thing to spec in the manual, having read here on TT that they torque spec of 16 was causing lots of problems with others...

Just getting steel threads in there must be good for something...I just do not like the occasional drops of oil that I keep finding on my garage floor. Other than that, the leak is not bad.

Thanks again,

Mike

Chrome-crf ....Have you had your bike on the dyno 60hp seems like a lot of power when Motocrossaction April 2004 issue put the 576 kit in there ktm525sx that adds 2mm to the stroke and 2mm to the bore and a full titanium Akropovic exhaust they only were getting 59.8 at the Rear wheel, and may I add that they said 59.8 is "ten more horsepower than the CRF450"

Don't get me wrong if you really have 60hp that is way cool just asking if you have had it on the dyno because that really seams like a lot out of a 450

No I have not had the bike dynoed yet but with the motor mods that I have done, I have been told by engine builder RHC that I should expect 60hp at the rear wheel. He has built many CRF450's that make over 60hp with the same mods and 64hp with oversize valves ?. Either way, I will dyno the bike once it is broken in and report my results here.