Sign in to follow this  

Another valve question

I have an 04 CRF 450. I am replacing the valves for the first time and I am getting SS valves and new springs. My friend is doing the same right now with his 03. He spoke to a mechanic at the local honda shop that stated only californians have a lot of trouble with the honda valves, and that it's cause of the gas the liberal greenies of our state make us use. He suggested race gas. Any truth to that statement? Anyone in any state have good results with race gas?

How would the type of gas make the valves/springs fail?? Im in Florida, and its happened here too, sounds like a load of kaka.... :cry: :cry:

The valves interact with the fuel when they open and close to allow gas to enter the cylinder. Intake valves tend to be a much bigger problem than exhaust. :cry: I've also heard a rumor that valve conditioning additives can help.

I also talked to a mechanic yesterday about the valve isues on the hondas, and he said the common link between all the bikes that he has seen with the valve problems, was that They were running crap for fuel, didnt have a good maitnence schedual ( oil, air filter ect...) He said that he has seen many racers that have good maintenence sceduals, never even have to adjust the valves, and they are racing on a weekly basis. Im not saying that everyone that has valve problems doesnt do regular maintenence, Im just thinking it would be more of a problem if you didnt do regular oil, air filter, changes, and run a good fuel?

:cry:

What do you think he means by crap fuel? Is that any pump gas? I do regular oil changes, usually three rides, no more than four. Clean air filter for every ride. I run super unleaded from Shell. My friend with valve problems on his 03 is more maticulous than me on maintenance. We do ride twice a week normally. Usually a good long trail ride or race. We both do harescrambles. I did not have to adjust my valves for the first 10 months that I owned the bike. Then one adjustment, I had done at a shop by a reputable mechanic in our area, two months after that complete valve job needed.

leaded gas lubes the valves...

American honda runs a chevron/Vp mix in their offroad 450s and 650s....

Most everything I have read, on this site and word of mouth points to the intake springs, right? I can uderstand how a leaded fuel would be easier on the valves, is it additives in pump gas eating away the coating on the Ti valves? I run Mobil pump gas, I think its 93 oct. If that was the case, wouldnt YZF's be doing it too?? Im very tight with my maintenace also, oil/tranny change every two rides, air filter every ride. Its weird that some have trouble, and some dont ever :cry: