Sign in to follow this  

Fork oil posabilities

Any one ever try hydraulic jack oil in your forks? Well I just did, it seems to be a little thicker than what came out but seems to work much beter. I havent taken it to the track yet,but I have tried it out in the field behind my house where I have constructed a couple of flat landing jumps in an effort to teach my 11 year old son how to jump. One of them I can get about 10ft of air and land on flat ground. Before the oil change the landing was a bit harsh, now it's a lot plusher. I'll post sunday on how it does at the track. The oil I used was Costal part#61201 hydraulic jack oil. :cry:

for years thats all we had was equipment "shell" hydraulic fluid--(about 10 12 wt) ---and atf about( 7 wt )--and it works and will get you by but on the straight hydraulic fluid its viscosity index is not as stable ( it dosent have to be for used as a lever in rams and such )-------the synthetic atf is much better ,-------but still your suspension will be more consistant and parts will last longer with a highly refined 3 to 5 wt suspension fluid in the fork and a 2 to 2.5 wt in the shock with a 400 + viscosity index ,--------some of the light wt syn motor oils and syn atf fluids are getting good ------------on the dyno you can run the hell out of different oils in the suspension and watch changes in damping and see witch ones die and go away and change and cause stiction all the way untill it seizes up-------and you wont beleive witch oil works very good --------------im sure you all remember the "golden spectro" 2 stroke oil ,----you would not believe how good that stuff is in suspension ,---i know you think i am smoking crack-----but that old junk is very good !!

I have been using amsoils synthetic #5 wt. for a while now. It's excellent, better than race techs synthetic and at a fraction of the cost too. $9 qt vs. $25.

im sure you all remember the "golden spectro" 2 stroke oil ,----you would not believe how good that stuff is in suspension ,---i know you think i am smoking crack-----but that old junk is very good !!

Thats kinda funny :cry:

Gary Jones' dad was doing work for Yamaha in the late 60's and they were testing engine oils and a made a mistake and mixed in the synthetic suspension oil that Yamaha had sent them to test and it was the only thing that could keep the motors from siezing :cry:

Apparently it was really acidic and would eat the carb and engine cases and bearings if you left it in there, but it worked great when the engine was running... :cry:

you know it is funny how far we have came in such a short time ------and your right some times a mistake turns out good -------thats how i found out the 2 stroke oil worked ,--it was by mistake :cry: