Sign in to follow this  

White smoke

On start up until engine warms up it blows white smoke out the exhaust so I am going to install a new piston and rings. My question is I was in thumpertalk shop and they offer JE pistons and Wiseco pistons. Are there any differences or is one better than the other? Thanks guys

Yes it does smell like burnt oil, and no I don't live in a humid area. Let me know what you are thinking I don't know a lot about 4 strokes so your knowledge is appreciated. Thanks :cry:

Well if it's whiteish/ blueish smoke and it smells like oil,, then it would be rings or valve sguid seals allowing oil to get in the cyl.. My bet would be rings,, but a leak down test would help with that assumption.

If it is low milage you can re ring it with no other parts but gaskets and oil (and rings of course) But you will not know for sure until you tear it down.

I don't know about 4-strokes but all the 2-strokes I've built with weisco pistons didn't last long. I just try to stay away from weisco's now.

I don't know about 4-strokes but all the 2-strokes I've built with weisco pistons didn't last long. I just try to stay away from weisco's now.

Weisco had some issues with their pistons about 10 years ago,,or more,, They build a fine product today, but then so does JE, the choice is yours based on price and availabilty,, But do not discount the Weisco based on a non issue.