Sign in to follow this  

Installing Acerbis handguards on 230 - throttle side??

I'm installing a set of Acerbis Handguards and notice that the part that is supposed to be inserted into the throttle side of the handlebar appears too large in diameter to fit inside/thru the throttle body hole ... the throttle body hold is a little smaller than the inside diameter of the handlebar.

The left hand side installed as expected... :cry:

Thoughts?? Need Pics?

No ideas? Surely someone has installed handguards and noticed this kind of a problem in the past??

Here are some pics in case it helps visually understand the dillema...

Acerbis%20Handguards%20problem%202.jpg

Acerbis%20Handguards%20problem%201.jpg

I don't have to cut off the end of the throttle-body sleeve do I so that the insert can be placed inside the handlebar? Also, if I did force it in .. if that were possible ... then it would cause the throttle-body sleeve to not work .. it would stick and not be functional. Maybe there is something much more simple to this that I'm not seeing :cry:

Thanks for the help. :cry:

Stock handlebars? I know it fits, we had em on our 230.

Some tips though: Clean up the cut in the grip, or cut the whole end of the grip off. Otherwise, it tends to stick. You do need to cut the throttle tube, if I recall...

Open the grip more. The throttle tube covers some of the end.

You need to cut that too. Love to send pics, but I don't want to

take mine apart again. Big pain in the butt.

Good luck, and TAKE YOUR TIME!!

Yes, you will need to cut off the end of the throttle tube. I installed a set of "Tusk" handguards and I took a dremel tool and cut off the plastic that is vertical. Make sure and try to turn the throttle as you are installing the guards to make sure it doesn't stick.

Jeff

The bars are newly installed Tag CR High with new 909 grips. They are the 7/8" std size. The throttle body sleeve has a cap on the end ... that keeps it in place. This cap has a hole in it ... but it is too small to slip the handguard insert into it.

Thanks for confirming that I'll need to open up the throttle body sleeve end (the cap with hole) ... I'll dremel it off and let everyone know how it comes out.

Thanks for the tips! :cry:

From the picture it appears that your handle bars are too thick. It is possible that the retainer is designed for a thinner wall "steel" bar. You may need to ask Acerbis if they have different retainers for aftermarket aluminum bars vs. steel bars. Just a guess. Since the left side went on O.K., remove it and compare the two. Maybe you got two different ones ??

You have to cut the end of the throttle tube and grip off, trust me you don't want to whack the throttle open and have the gaurd holding it open. :cry: