What's the big secret?

whip is all in the take off. right before you leave the face of the jump you need to start leaning(say to the left) by weighting your left foot peg and having your body off center to the left. by weighting the left and being off center your are unweighting the right side. so when your bike launches in the air its going to kick the rear up and side ways. you need to be concious of whats going on and be prepared to bring it back. If you try to stop the whip you will most likely crash and burn, you need to let it take its course then you will use your steering stop(maybe) and your weight and leverage on the bars to get back ontop of the bike.

good luck and be safe,

There's a little physics involved. If you know anything about angular momentum, the right-hand rule and the conservation of angular momentum, you'll understand why the rear-end comes around when you turn the front wheel in the air.

Do this... as you're riding, find a little bump that you can get some air off of; like 15' or so. As you come up to it and a fair pace, preload and sort of turn (ever so slightly) right or left as you're preloading.

Buy physically turning the bike (a little), you're getting the rear to follow the front - just like any turn, cept'n this time it'll be swinging out in the air.

Just fool around @ slow speeds and you'll get it. I'm still work'n @ it myself as well as scrubbing over obstacles.

• Experts

Before you begin to practice doing the whip find a smooth faced jump with no ruts on the face. The whip can be performed even when there are some small ruts in the face of the jump but it is much easier to do without ruts. Make sure it’s a safe jump (like a tabletop) but has enough hang time to get it sideways and pull it back straight for the landing. Approach the jump at an angle so you can turn the bike off the jump and still hit your intended landing target. As your coming into the jump lean your body (mostly your hips) off the inside of the bike a little. This would be to the side that you are leaning. Just as the bike begins to rebound continue leaning it over and as it starts to rebound let the back end come out to the side. As it leaves the jump you can pull it over more by the handlebars and by leaning more off to the inside or you can straighten it up or let it stay the same. Right after that instant make sure you find the center of balance with your body movement. Then at the top arch of your jump start to reverse the movement that you executed upon takeoff. This will give you enough time to straighten it up for the landing. There's no secret, it takes a lot of time and practice. ? :cry: ?

I sometimes try little whips on my bike on the track i rides table top but have a hard time pulling it back and land sideways a bit but luckily i can only through it out just a tad. I have a cr125 but sometimes ill take my moms ttr125 and attempt whipe on the mini track with that its easier to throw out and i can sort of pull it back in. Is there and easier way to pull it back in because im small on my bike cr.

To me, pulling back is the easier part. If you find you're in the air, and the bike is still a little sideways, landing front wheel first always seems to work for me.

• 2 weeks later...