Sign in to follow this  

Is there any gremlins that I should look for on a 02 KLX400?

G'Day from Australia

I currently ride an 04 DR650 but it's bit of a handfull in the bush Great for commuting though. I do about 15,000km per year on the road. I just visited my local bike shop and saw a very nice 02 KLX400. I know its the wrong colour but I've had my eye out for a DRZ for a while now. This bike looks in good condition and has only about 700km on the clock. It may have done a bit more because the lights blinkers and rear mudguard look brand new like they have been in a box, the speedo may have been in the same box? The rear tyre looks about half worn and I dont think it is original.

I have heard there was a problem with cam chain tensioners with earlier models did they fix this before October 2002? Is there any other gremlins to look out for?

This is my first post on the DRZ forum, I look forward to hearing your advice.

Wazza

It must be an 03 unless there was an Aussie 02..? I got the

first kawi 400 I could find after they sent me a CC card in the mail,

and it was an 03 model in sept of 02, was not offered in green until then.

Cam chain tensioner has be revised a couple times, still a good idea

to swap in the manual version, cheap insurance and an easy job.

How much are they asking & we should be able to tell you if

its a decent deal. There are a few with fairly low miles on ebay now

hovering around the $3000 US mark.

I have 20000 miles on mine, about 1000 a month average 80/20% street/dirt.

Great bikes, very reliable and the perfect compramise for dual duty.

I recently got a second set of rims to save my dirt tires for dirt

and got some sticky rubber slicks for the street. Many guys go to

17" rims for street use and keep their stock rims for dirt. :cry:

The guy in the shop reckons it was an 03 model but the Australian compliance plate is stamped 10 02.

It is $6,800 which is $2,500 less than the new RRP of $9290 here in Aus. I can probably bargain them down a bit.

Price is about Wright for the vintage look on www.bikesales.com.au

You need to go by the graphics for the year .

I have an 04 that I purchased in late 03 when the new model was released

And its stamped 03

The original tyre would have been a brigstone gritty

You should chk the cam chain tensioner , defiantly replace it if it is the old style

Look out for leaking water pumps , its a cheep fix if you do the work yourself

Make shore the nut on the front sprocket isn’t loose.

If it is there may be internal gearbox damage , usually not but maybe

Take the plastic of on the left hand side and look at the wiring for any melting

Of the connectors .

Very few people have problems, theas are about as bullet proof as it gets

Have fun there a grate bike

Paul

:cry:

Those prices you listed seem kinda high. I mean at current exchange rates. I am not 100% sure and all... Because exchange rates don't mean much I suppose. But...

$9290AUD comes out to $6834USD. DRZ MSRP is about $5500USD

Used you could expect to pay about $3000 USD for a bike a couple years old. :cry:

I have seen a BRAND NEW holdover 03 KLX400R for sale here as low as $3999USD which is about 28% off original MSRP and still NEW!

So make sure your getting a fair deal on the bike. :cry: :cry:

The green bikes are better. I have an 03 and have not had a single problem. As for the price, I would imagine things are more expensive in Australia due to shipping. Good luck mate! :cry:

(((The green bikes are better. I have an 03 and have not had a single problem. .)))

Me neither, but this forum has aided grately in keeping track and prevently potential failures. Lets not forget having our personal Engine Tuner and Mechanic (Mr. Burned) available for consultation. :cry: :cry: :cry:

The guy in the shop reckons it was an 03 model but the Australian compliance plate is stamped 10 02.

its a 03 since it was made after june of 02.

Thanks Guys for the advice. :cry: I'd love to get one of those new ones for $3999 that Nate talked about. But our dollar doesnt by as much as yours. We probably get a few more of them in our pay packet? :cry: I'm going down to get a trade in valuation on the suzi tomorrow. I'll check under the sidecover for the electrics and let you know how I go.

Wazza

always makes me laugh when i read about the guys in the usa talking about prices, you would fall off your chair if you had to pay GB prices the retail price for a new DRZ is £4500 with an exchange rate of $1.80 to the pound it means that we are paying over $8000 US for a new bike and as a knock on effect used prices are much more too than over there in the good ole USofA you guys accross the pond are so lucky you have such a big market that keeps prices down poor us on a little island always get a bashing on prices :cry: