Sign in to follow this  

National Level MX - Did you ever wonder??

When you see a National or Supercross on TV did you ever wonder what it would be like standing there on the line with the riders? Without being on a pit crew or having a press pass you will never get the chance. I can tell you from experience it can be painful. Here is a shot from a '78 season 500 National starting line. It is hard to believe the noise and then the amount of roost you get hit with. Everyone is basically taking cover. Yes I did get nailed by Stackables factory Kawasaki. I remember the mark I had on my thigh for about a week after this race. I was wearing shorts.

ouch.jpg

This particular race was one of the hottest ones I ever went to. It was extremely humid and the temperature was around 100F. When you are a factory rider you get some special treatment. Witness the action in the pits right after winning the 125 class. They didn't call him the Golden Boy for nothing. Broc Glover is in some extreme distress but at least he has a Pit Tootsie and boot boy to relieve the pain while he re-hydrates.

stroke78stj.jpg

You must be enjoying bringing these great memories of yours almost back to life. Seeing these pics of yours is sure making me feel good.

Dude, you need to release a limited run coffee table book featuring all these awesome B&W pic's of yours. I guarantee you would make a few bucks. I for one would be in for a copy. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: This stuff is priceless, like looking back through rare archive footage. Hell, it is rare archive footage. Good work. :lol:

A motorsports publisher would jump at that chance. Chiefan needs to start making some calls. Where can I send my money? :cry:

You can send that deposit of only $49.99 to P.O. Box 111 for now...... :cry::cry:

Actually, I am thinking in that direction. I am still just trying to get all the negatives scanned so I can see what all I have. So far, I've only completed about 300 images out of 800, all from AMA Pro races. Trust me they are all not always interesting shots. Generally I am lucky to have 10 to 15 really good shots per roll of 36 exposure film. The rest range from decent all the way to leaving me wondering - why the hell did I take that picture?

I have been doing the scanning myself over lunch and in my spare time at work. I have at least 5 hours scanning time in the project so far but I have a ways to go. All my buddies here on this forum get to preview selected ones as I go.

Yeah, I am having fun with this. :cry: I am also curious to know if Bultaco has any new pics of our old heros from the AHRMA races. :cry:

I don't know if you saw the little glimpse I gave of the real thing because I was smart enough to only post low resolution pics on Thumper Talk. If you missed the sneak peak check out Hannah's glove here web link

It really is amazing quality. :cry:

A motorsports publisher would jump at that chance. Chiefan needs to start making some calls. Where can I send my money? :cry:

What did I tell ya in that PM? :cry:

You, sir, are sitting in the catbird seat!

I look forward to the results. :cry:

I am also curious to know if Bultaco has any new pics of our old heros from the AHRMA races. :cry:

Since I'm a Coordinator and a volunteer, and usually racing at the events myself, I rarely take pics. If I do, it's usually of local schleps at our Regional events, which are a lot more low-key than the Nationals. (The regular dudes that spend their own money, drive all night, and bang bars for the fun of it are more my heroes.)

If you decide to proceed with your project PM me. I know a few people that may be able to help, or send you in the right direction.